• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scabs on cheeks

I noticed one of my bunnies Chaos has quite a lot of what feels like scabs on his cheeks, but when I look through the fur to the skin I can't actually see anything. I was wondering if it's just where the hairs grow from? I also thought it might be mites, but i've checked the rest of his body and it's literally just his cheeks. I've also checked my other bunnies and only one of them has something similar feeling on the cheeks, but not as many as Chaos? Anyone have any ideas?

Is he a long -haired bun? I wondered if it might be little bits of hard matted fur that feel like scabs? Does he have a partner that could have licked the fur matted ?
it could be the hair roots?

I hope someone more experienced can help.
-sue:wave:

No, he's not long haired. He's dutch x english i think. He's not bonded yet either so can't be that. You have got me thinking tho... he's got a habit of jumping onto the front of Shy-Boys hutch to wind him up... I wonder if Shy-Boy had been pulling at his cheeks?

If you part the hair, you should see little blobs of hardened gunk (usually black or brown coloured) around the base of the hair. I think it's just some kind of harmless gland secretion.

I think its most likely just hair roots feeling thicker-I noticed they were normally thicker on my bun where the whiskers came out.

Check if the hardened bits are in the same place each side of his cheeks and if they correspond with whiskers.

I think the comment about gland secretion is likely too. -sue:wave:

Hi, thanks for replying :wave:

I think your right about it just being gland secretions. I had a proper look yesterday in the daylight and it was a very pale yellowish stuff stuck round some of the hairs (he has a white face so makes sense) I used a plastic flea comb and was able to get some of them out and it just broke up into practically nothing :thumb:

personally I wouldn't bother to remove gland secretions (if that's what they are)as I believe they are part of natural defences?.sue:wave:

I agree with you, at first I thought I felt scabs but then I noticed the hair in tight clumps fused with waxy secretions. I pull them out sometimes but I'm afraid I'll tear the skin so I usually leave it.

I agree with you, at first I thought I felt scabs but then I noticed the hair in tight clumps fused with waxy secretions. I pull them out sometimes but I'm afraid I'll tear the skin so I usually leave it.

This thread is 7.5 years old.

Back