• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jimby ate a foil chocolate wrapper

At least I think it was just the wrapper! The chocolates were on the sofa in a pot and by the time I got to him all I could see was a wrapper traveling in his mouth, I tried to grab it but he was too quick. What do I do?

Nothing you can do except wait I'm afraid. One of bunnies once ate a quality street wrapper, I rang the emergency vet and thats the advice they gave me.

Unless they start to show symptoms of any problem starting then nothing can be done and hopefully it will pass through without complication :wave:

:wave:Not a clue but no one is answering and I feel sorry for you!!!!
I'd ring the vet and get their advice - what could you do?? It's gone now - just watch closely for any signs of upset tummy?? I really don't know!! :?

how big was the wrapper? i would be inclined to call the emergency vet just to get advice from them, sorry Im no expert and wouldnt know what to do either :(

There is nothing you can do except get him to eat as much hay as you can to push it through quickly. Some damp leaves/veggies will help keep his gut hydrated and help to pass it through also. Those foil wrappers are very thin and probably disintegrate quite easily, with a bit of luck you'll get some glittery poops tonight or tomorrow. Plenty of hay (fibre) will be the best thing. Try not to worry.

It was a wrapper from a small lindt egg (one of the multi pack ones) He has eaten many things so far that he should not have and was alright so I am hoping it will pass through a bit like paper, he is always having a sneeky nibble on paper!

I called the emergency vets and the nurse who I spoke to has said that she has not heard of bunnies eating any forign bodies before so is going to get the vet to call me back.

Still havent heard from vets, just gave Jims his night time snack of herbs (nice ans wet) and also managed to trick him in to some fibreplex, he is now eating his hay.

Hope you hear some news on this- sorry i haven't had this so i can't help- i would say the advice above seems pretty logical and practicle. Not much they can do i suppose even if they see him. Can't really open him up and get the wrapper out i wouldn't have thought. They would just let it go through the system i imagine.

I just called the vets again and spoke to the nurse, she said there is nothing we can do apart from wait, that he should pass it in the next 12-14 hours.
She said to give him some veggies to help pass it.
So I have done all I can for now, I am just too worried to go to sleep.

It'll be fine to go to sleep, take a deep breath and calm. My Vinnie ate the plastic from a puppy training pad (she got into things she shouldn't have :roll:) and I was told just to let her work it out, keep an eye on her just in case and make sure she had plenty of water and encourage hay munching. :) I went to sleep, she was fine.

No sign of any sparklyness yet. He has done some nice poops over night and ate his breakfast this morning.
I called our vets today and she said that hopefully he will pass it through but with Jimby this could potentially be a very serious problem. :shock:

He has done some poops which are slightly smaller than the ones he did over night, I have given him some fibreplex and am going to keep him eating as much as possible.

Back