• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
should i or shouldnt i?
my bun will be going to live outside when he gets a lady friend so he will be at a higher risk?
i dont think ill be offered it at my vets but iff i ask im sure they wont refuse.

what do others do?

It's a good idea when you introduce a new bun to your existing bun to give both buns a 28 day course of Panacur to eliminate any intestinal worms and to reduce the risk of any active infection of E.Cuniculi - in case one bun is a carrier.
After this you can either do top up worming 9 days once, twice or several times a year or just do the full 28 days after buns have been in contact with other buns/shared a garden used by other buns etc... e.g if they go into boarding for example.
If your buns never have any further contact with other rabbits you may not need to bother with any more courses after the first 28 day course, unless bun shows signs of EC symptoms.

I'm fairly new to bunnies - have had Charlee since she was 8 wks old and she is now 5.5 months. She was spayed at 4 months and recieved her myxi vaccs then as well. On her vaccination card it says she is due for panacur in June. I was in at the vets the other day picking up some pellets and other bits and bobs, and asked the head nurse about it. She said it was done to prevent E.Cuniculi which she said was fairly common in bunnies. I believe it is a standard practice that my vet carries out - similar to the vaccinations. Would be interesting to know if it is standard at other vets as well.

Would be interesting to know if it is standard at other vets as well.

Not necessarily, it will depend on the vet and their knowledge of exotics!
The manufacturer of Panacur states that a 9 day course is sufficient for EC but at a recent lecture by some leading exotic vets in the UK following research it has been shown that 9 days as far as EC is concerned is pretty much a waste of time and a one-off 28 day course is far more effective. :wave:

Back