• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ground ivy / creeping charlie

Pipkinbuns77

Young Bun
Hello,
Is ground ivy/ creeping charlie poisonous to bunnies?
Bit worried about it as my lawn is covered in it this year and i've only just noticed. It doesn't look like its in the area where my buns have been but worried that they may have already eaten it, if it is poisonous will they eat it or around it?
Thanks for any help
xx

Ivy is definitely poisonous I'm afraid. I would never trust buns' to eat around it - you really need to remove it all. Can you find it's roots and remove from the roots - dig it up?

Creeping ivy - also known as Creeping Charlie - is NOT ivy. It is just commonly called creeping ivy.
It is NOT a Hedera (ie Latin for IVY), instead it is Glechoma hederacae. In fact it comes from the same general family as dead nettle.(laminacaea)

It is always Vital to know the Latin names of plants so as not to get confused using common names.

I quote its medicinal value from wikipedia (which in this instance has done a good job!):
Glechoma is sometimes grown as a potted plant, and occasionally as a ground cover. A variegated variety is sometimes commercially available.
While often thought of as a weed because of its propensity for spreading, Glechoma has culinary and medicinal uses which were the cause of its being imported to America by early European settlers. The fresh herb can be rinsed and steeped in hot water to create an herbal tea which is rich in vitamin C. The essential oil of the plant has many potent medicinal properties; the plant has been used for centuries as a general tonic for colds and coughs and to relieve congestion of the mucous membranes. The plant has been demonstrated to have anti-inflammatory properties. It has also been claimed to increase excretion of lead in the urine.[citation needed]
Its medicinal properties have been described for millennia, Galen recommending the plant to treat inflammation of the eyes, for instance. John Gerard, an English herbalist, recommended the plant to treat tinnitus, as well as a "diuretic, astringent, tonic and gentle stimulant. Useful in kidney diseases and for indigestion." It is also useful as a "lung herb".[2]
Glechoma was also widely used by the Saxons in brewing beer as flavoring, clarification, and preservative, before the introduction of hops for these purposes; thus the brewing-related names, Alehoof, Tunhoof, and Gill-over-the-ground.
Glechoma has been used in the cheese making process as a substitute for animal rennet

Thank you,
i shall do my best to dig it out but there is alot of it out there! Husband did make a start on it today, bless him!

Back