• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey is really not well - U/D home and doing o.k

Please could I have some vibes for Honey.
We took her to the vets last Saturday as she was not quite right and she was tilting her head to the left a bit. The vet checked her over and thought she was in pain due to her elongated tooth roots. She had her eye flushed 3 times, but as the duct is blocked nothing went through. So all week she has had drops for her eye and Metacam. She was fine all week and the head tilt disappeared on the saturday as quickly as it arrived. I think she may have overdone the exercise in the garden.
Tonight though, she was fine. Eating and going to the toilet, but about 7.30pm jsut sat hunched up in the shed while Eric and Ernie played outside. (she always play with them)
So we took her to the vets and she had a good check over of teeth and ears and tummy. Tummy was a bit tight but all other areas were fine. She had her temperature taken and it was a bit high. She had a baytril injection and a dose of Zantax (sp) (which I have to give her twice a day). But she still hasn't eaten and is not moving out of the NIC cube set up in the shed.
My poor girl. I hope she eats tonight.

Last edited:
aww poor honey - lots of vibes coming your way - its very worrying when they are like that as you know instantly they are not well :(

Ive had this with Charlie recently - I really hope she gets well soon and you can find the cause

Poor girl :cry:

Can you bring her in tonight if she is still not eating ?
I would Jane, but she is with Eric and Ernie and is very close to them, and I just don't have the room for all 3 ( have now closed my shop and the house is full of dancewear and prom dresses. We can barely sit down ourselves).:(:(
She is in the shed and there is lots of hay and water for them all. so hopefully she will attempt to eat later. The vet did say it could take a couple of hours.

The boys were grooming her constantly when she came back from the vets, but she just wants to sit alone and she hates, me after all the medication this week:cry::cry: I will have to rebuild her trust again.

Did the vet give her some pain relief? If not, I would get some tonight, and maybe some fluids too. If she doesn't eat herself tonight I would also be syringe feeding food and fluids. Hope she feels better soon.

Did the vet give her some pain relief? If not, I would get some tonight, and maybe some fluids too. If she doesn't eat herself tonight I would also be syringe feeding food and fluids. Hope she feels better soon.

She has been having Metacam all week and her last lot was this morning. I don't want to give her any more tonight because she may have to go back to the vets in the morning and I don't want to overload her with meds?
She had a Bytril injection and some Zantax(sp) at the vets but that was all.
I really think she is in pain, but don't know where it is. She had a big drink of water when she got back from the vets. Just going out to check on her again now as it has been 3 hours since we saw the vet.

She has been having Metacam all week and her last lot was this morning. I don't want to give her any more tonight because she may have to go back to the vets in the morning and I don't want to overload her with meds?
She had a Bytril injection and some Zantax(sp) at the vets but that was all.
I really think she is in pain, but don't know where it is. She had a big drink of water when she got back from the vets. Just going out to check on her again now as it has been 3 hours since we saw the vet.

Oh ok, sorry, I don't know her full story and was just going on your first post :oops:

If she really is in pain, she could go to an emergency vet and have some opiate pain relief instead - Vetergesic. This can be given at the same time as metacam as it is a different class of drug, metabolised differently. So no, don't over do her metacam, I didn't realise she had had any, but if you are at all concerned tonight about her pain - pop her to the emergency vet and get some opiate pain relief to top her up instead. And whilst you're there get some sub-cuts just to make sure she is properly hydrated. In my book fluids are so important. Hope Honey feels better soon. x

Oh ok, sorry, I don't know her full story and was just going on your first post :oops:

If she really is in pain, she could go to an emergency vet and have some opiate pain relief instead - Vetergesic. This can be given at the same time as metacam as it is a different class of drug, metabolised differently. So no, don't over do her metacam, I didn't realise she had had any, but if you are at all concerned tonight about her pain - pop her to the emergency vet and get some opiate pain relief to top her up instead. And whilst you're there get some sub-cuts just to make sure she is properly hydrated. In my book fluids are so important. Hope Honey feels better soon. x

Thank you and sorry, I didn't make myself clear (not thinking straight) She had a course of Metacam this week, because I was concerned about her on saturday. She had her eye flushed 3 times and the vet thought that was the problem. She had some steroid drops for the eye too as the vet thought that was what was causing the pain. She has been fine all week until tonight :cry::cry:
The vet also thought her tummy was tight, but that could have been a side-effect of the metacam. She had a big drink when she got home from the vets and I have just taken some Kale and warm water out for her. She declined.:cry:

A tight tummy sounds like bloat to me. I would give Honey a tummy massage and pop her to the emergency vet if she does not pick up soon. Good luck

Hmmm could it be that the pain she is in and the stress has caused abit of stasis? I'd ask for her to be given an injection of gut stimulant like metacloperamide aswell, and a course to take home.
Hope shes OK, sending vibes xxx

Hi Jayne.

I messaged you before I saw this thread so you've answered some of my questions already.

What was the vet's plan of attack following the initial treatment?

Hope she improves today.

Helen x

Honey has been admitted at 6.00am this morning. Ernie was trying to mount her at 5.45am this morning and she was grunting and squeeking, but didn't attempt to get out of his way.:(
The vet siad her tummy was a bit hard and she could feel some poos inside. She wants to monitor her wees and poos and also said she would give her some metacloperamide. I am taking Eric and Ernie down to get her later as Eric has been looking for her:(

I wish I knew what was causing her pain.:cry::cry: I hope the vets do more than just watch her though. I need to know what's going on.

My poor Honey!:cry::cry:

The vet called me earleir to say they wanted to keep Honey in. They close at 3pm so it will be another vet monitoring her and he will update me early evening. She hasn't eaten or been to the toilet. The phone call can't come quick enough.:cry::cry:
She has had some fibreplex(sp)and something else, but can't remember. It will come to me and I'll let you know:oops::oops:

My poor girl:cry::cry:

Back