• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best setup for an indoor rabbit

LJRabbit

Young Bun
Whats the best type of cage for an indoor rabbit, I was looking on ebay and was thinking maybe of a dog crate combined with a dog exercise pen is this a good idea?

Thanks,

P.S could any one show me any pictures of your indoor setups, it would be mutch appreciated! :)

Last edited:
i know everyone likes the dog crate set up but i didnt like them

instead i have two pens and half with a roof of storage cubes with a netting over the top when im out :D much easier and lighter for travel when i take the buns with us when we visit family

P8020031.jpg

Our lionheads have this...

Photo0204-vi.jpg

Photo0206-vi.jpg

Which is 5 by 3 by 3, unfortunately it can't go any longer because the slope for the house stairs is to the left of it but they free-range in the room nearly all the time.

My lops have this...

Photo0106-vi.jpg

Which has changed slightly since that photo as we now shut that door and open the one on one of the ends to keep the mess a bit more contained. That's smaller but they free-range 24-7 in my room.

Personally I prefer the dog crate over the cube panels. It's more sturdy but does require the room to be rabbit-proofed although it would be very easy to add a run.

Jack and Hollie have a 48" dog crate as a 'base' but they have free range of the pet room. However; you could attach a dog pen very easily. My pet room is 'pet-proofed' so it's safe for them and they can't do any real destruction. There's a baby-gate on their room so we can see them during the day. :D xx

Jack & Hollie's crate....

P1060228.jpg

P1060233.jpg

P1060222.jpg

You could easily attach a pen like this - I thought about it but as the one I got was for the guinea pigs originally it's only 24" high and Jack can jump over it with no problem at all! A 4x4 pen attached to a dog crate will be a 6x4 pen because the crate forms the fourth side so it makes a good sized pen.

P1060084.jpg

They have a bed-box style litter tray now though as the other one wasn't big enough for both of them. :D xx

No picture as yet but Mine is just in the kitchen as it was the one room with wipe clean floor and no bunny height wiring/ electrics. I bought a small plastic 'box' (think giant tupperware), it would defo be too small to have a rabbit in (although sadly the pet shop advice is that is is fine) but I just use the bottom of mine to put his litter tray and bed in. We leave the 'lid' off so he just hops in and out as he choses. He has made this his sleeping area and his 'safe' place.
In theory I could have used the type of plastic storage you get to be used under beds but I wanted the type with a lid so that when we go on holiday my parents/aunty have somewhere to put him at night without them having to rabbit proof the whole house.

I imagine the set up would depend on if the rabbit has the room to themself or if it is multi-purpose and needs to be rabbit-proofed.

Good luck!:D

Charlee has a 6ft x 3ft pen during the night. From about 7am - 10pm she has most of my room to play in which provides her with an additional 6ft x 8ft.

Some old photos of her cage but it gives you the idea -
019-1.jpg

026-2.jpg

I have different fleece that I put down - and I change the set up of her cage around to keep it interesting for her. At the moment we have a bit of a purple theme going.

024-4.jpg

cage

What do you use for the bedding in the bunny cage? I tried bedding, and fleece, I tried to Velcro and my bunny Just ripped it up.
Jack and Hollie have a 48" dog crate as a 'base' but they have free range of the pet room. However; you could attach a dog pen very easily. My pet room is 'pet-proofed' so it's safe for them and they can't do any real destruction. There's a baby-gate on their room so we can see them during the day. :D xx

Jack & Hollie's crate....

P1060228.jpg

P1060233.jpg

P1060222.jpg

You could easily attach a pen like this - I thought about it but as the one I got was for the guinea pigs originally it's only 24" high and Jack can jump over it with no problem at all! A 4x4 pen attached to a dog crate will be a 6x4 pen because the crate forms the fourth side so it makes a good sized pen.

P1060084.jpg

They have a bed-box style litter tray now though as the other one wasn't big enough for both of them. :D xx

What do you use for the bedding in the bunny cage? I tried bedding, and fleece, I tried to Velcro and my bunny Just ripped it up.
Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: my indoor bunny has laminate floor in his room, and he has 2 litter trays with wood pellet cat litter and hay in,and a bed which he has a piece of vetbed on. You could use non slip vynil for the flooring too.

In future it's easier for people to see your post if you start your own thread rather than resurrecting an old one :thumb:

I had this set up for my buns which I really liked and was so easy to access for cleaning etc

4d399c9ba5ff4f486dbec54e4f6c4c10.jpg

0b4df56a252ea36f50564b5da3d0447f.jpg

Back