• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The vet wouldn't give me any painkillers after the neutering, is this normal?

I had my doe neutered the other week and they said she'd had pain relief and anti biotics before I collected her, but to come back if I feel she needs any more pain killers.
She had dissolvable stitches but still had to go back for a check up a few days later.

I wasn't given painkillers when my boys were done- they did stay in for half a day to make sure they were eating/pooping ok, and were really bouncy (I'd have taken them back for more painkillers had they needed it, but they were fine)

My wee cousin just had her Jack spayed at our vets, she got Metacam away with her and 2 post surgery checks.

I dont think id be happy with no pain relief for my bun x

My female was spayed a few weeks ago and I was told to take her back for more pain relief. I did ring the following day to ask if I could administer metacam (and how much) as I had some in the house.

I agree with Jane, there should be a post op check too so it may be worth trying to find more bunny savvy vets.

Faith was spayed recently and I was given the choice before the op if I wanted to buy extra pain relief for her at home and she had 2 post op checks although she had internal stitches. Mr Bubbles was neutered some time ago and I don't remember any extra pain relief for him, just what the vet gave him at the time, but he did have 2 post op checks. Maybe you should ask what the procedure is for spayed rabbits?
________
Ocean View Condominiums Pattaya

Last edited:
Tinker was sent home without any extra when she was spayed last friday, but i was given an aftercare sheet and a had a good chat with a nurse before i was allowed to bring her home!

This was followed up by a phone call the next morning to make sure she was weeing/pooing/drinking/eating and I've got a follow up at the vets tomorrow with her :) she's been fine, she didn't need any extra pain relief :)

Apparently it's good for them not to have too much cos it means they are a wee bit more careful and don't tear around like mad like usual and end up doing themselves more harm. They do the same with dogs etc.

It seems a valid enough reason to me but I'm sure I might get contested with this!;)

Archie came home without any. Then again as soon as we got him home he jumped out of his carrier and sprinted down the hallway binkying.:roll:

I pressumed that if he took a turn for the worse then I could of called them back up and took him back down!

Archie came home without any. Then again as soon as we got him home he jumped out of his carrier and sprinted down the hallway binkying.:roll:

I pressumed that if he took a turn for the worse then I could of called them back up and took him back down!

yeah I thought this too.. I had to take my Doe Bobby back the next day as she didn't eat and looked uncomfortable:cry:

That article says all that needs to be said :)

I would never consider sending an animal away from ANY surgery without pain relief.

Are you using the vets in Balby???
This is the one of the reasons i stopped using them...my rabbits have never been there tbh but my dog was registered there and i had a friend who was a vet there,things i heard about the place made my register at vets for pets in wheatley sharpish!!!
They are a bit more expensive but a lot better. My friend took a bun there with dental issues and what turned out to be an abscess - she asked for pain relief and they refused point blank as it's unlicensed for buns,she even said if frances harcourt brown believes in it it's good enough for me,still no joy.
The bun died before it could be operated on sadly :cry:
So a word of warning,if in future the your bunny needs any pain relief at home they will not prescribe it.

Back