• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

now they are both poorly!

bugsyrabbit

Young Bun
Tobbar was off colour 3 weeks ago with stasis like symptoms, he's a lot better but still not eating as normal and a bit quiet. Twiglet is now not going out for a run as usual and is slightly wobbly as if she is a bit uncoordinated. They have both been in contact with EC in the past but have had 2 28 day courses of Panacur (last one just over a year ago). I have put them back on Panacur and am taking them to the vet tomorrow again.
It just seems a bit wierd that it should flare up again in both of them at the same time.:? Could it be some other infectious thing?? They are insured, should I ask for lots of tests? I dont really want them messing about unless it's necessary. Thanks!

Thanks for asking. It was a bit as I expected- they were not really sure. Tobbar felt a bit full in his caecum so he has gone back on the metoclopramide, he is much the same today, no better, no worse-he had a bit of a run around the garden this evening which was nice.
Twiglet - they found a swelling in her abdomen which may be her kidney but they are not sure. She is on metoclopramide as well as her poohs are a bit small and dried up. The vet said to try and get her bowels moving a bit better then I have to take her back for an Xray and tooth check under GA (she has had dental work before but it never made her like this ) I am pretty sure she has EC so will wait a bit and make sure the Panacur is taking effect before I get the GA done.
I am giving them both a syringe feed of critical care and probiotics and some Metacam. They are eating some food for themselves- I am watching their weight.
Just hoping they both pick up soon, Twiglet's eight years old so I kind of expect her to get poorly sometime but Tobbar's only 4 !
P.S. They said to send in a pooh sample if they are not improving soon, am taking them back Monday for a review.

Last edited:
Back