• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spey'd today....care advice please

Hi All,

I took my 2 5 month old boy bunnies to be neutered today only to discover that they are both girls!! Anyway, went ahead with the speying and picked them up about an hour ago. I am feeling very nervous about them and look ing for any info, tips or advice for aftercare you may have.

I currently have them togther in a box lined with paper (and absorbant sheet that came from vet), with a wee drop food. They are usually kept in an outdoor hutch but considering keeping them indoors for tonight at least, help!

Thanks x

Tinks was spayed on friday, i've got her in a bedroom upstairs, the floor has a clean duvet as its soft and not fluffy, she's got her usual litter tray set up of newspaper and hay, she's got a water bowl as well and some toys etc

she's absolutely savage at being caged up ! so fingers crossed she gets the all clear on friday to free range again! i had to occupy her with a bowl of porridge just to grab her filthy litter tray out without being bitten! hope the hormones settle her back down to the snuggle bunny she was before! :roll::lol:

Hiya, thanks for your reply. Are you giving her any painkillers? Mine weren't discharged with any and I've only just thought now that they may need them??

Hiya, thanks for your reply. Are you giving her any painkillers? Mine weren't discharged with any and I've only just thought now that they may need them??

it would of been a good idea.....mine got discharged with 3 days worth, try to tempt them with food as much as possible.
mine are also outdoor buns and yes its best to keep them in, i kept mine in for 2 nights but it was REALLY cold at that point.
they might not move much tonight but just keep trying to tempt them to eat and hopefully you'll see some poo's in the morning. if they not eating tomorrow afternnon i would ring the vets about some more pain relief. to start with mine only ate herbs and veg and wouldnt touch there food.

sorry just to add that they've proberly had a injection of pain killers that will last 24hrs. :)

Nope, no painkillers, was just told to keep her confined for 10 days and prevent her from jumping up on anything for that time to give her wound time to heal. the wound itself is very neat and clean, can't forsee any problems. she's got her followup with the vet nurse on friday and then hopefully she can be free range again after that :)

Thanks, will see how they are over night, just about to get them set up in the indoor hutch....want to give them cuddles but so worried about hurting them.....they're snuggling with one another :love:, hope they'll be okay

Have just taken them from the box and put them into the indoor hutch and one is mounting the other already!! This is the behaviour that, for me, confirmed the breeders guess that they were male (before we found out otherwise), do you think I should separate them again? Or put them into a smaller box where they don't have as much freedom.....help I'm panicing!!

I'd keep them inside for tonight at least,following a GA they may struggle to maintain their body temperature.Offer water in a bowl as well as a bottle as they may find it easier.Watch that neither becomes overly interested in their own/others spay wound.Observe the wound daily for any redness,heat,discharge etc which may indicate the start of an infection.Does often take a little longer to start eating compared to boys-its a bigger op afterall,but they should be starting to eat by tomorrow,if not contact your vet.Keep offering hay to eat but dont allow them to lie on it [or straw] as it may irritate the wound.Sending vibes for a quick,uneventful recovery!!:D

Have just taken them from the box and put them into the indoor hutch and one is mounting the other already!! This is the behaviour that, for me, confirmed the breeders guess that they were male (before we found out otherwise), do you think I should separate them again? Or put them into a smaller box where they don't have as much freedom.....help I'm panicing!!

it depends on how small the small box is? sorry youve proberly sorted it by now.....i am not sure what i would do hopefully someone will come along shortly......i dont want to go through spaying another rabbit EVER, its too stressful!

They've settled in the indoor hutch now, I've lined it with a thick towel and absorbant mat. They are lying quite flat and cuddling in, both have had a bit of veg, and I've been giving them a bowl of water as no where for bottle to go, although one keeps grabbing it and throwing!! So as not to get the wounds wet I am just offering the water in occasionally, not sure what to do overnight.

Worried that when their painkiller wears off they'll be sore, will ring vet tomorrow. Hoping they recover and heal quickly.

Back