• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering- Vet said hay is ok? Worried because i've put it down in the top of hutch..

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I just got the male bunnies neutered on Friday at 2pm. Tonight i put them out this evening around 7pm on carefresh and paper shavings over that. I also put carefresh and paper in the litter box.

Upstairs, up the ramp, which i couldn't remove, because they will jump up regardless and cause more stress to the area. At the top of the area, i put there hay- i put it down on the floor, not much just covering the top floor to eat. They tend to scrap at it and uncover that top floor though if i put any bedding on it.

I'm now unsure it's too soon for hay in the top part of the hutch, i know the vet said hay is okay, but i'm sure she meant in a rack, they do end up throwing the rack off the cage and eating off the floor anyway, but could i be causing problems for them.

It's too late for me to see now to clean it out, but should i be removing this from the hutch and sticking with paper for the next week.

Very worried- has anyone else used hay to some degree after neutering?

Thanks x

Thanks

This morning one bun has a bit of blood on his nose, not sure where is is from, also on his ear. Very small amount. Could he have hurt himself? I'm not sure how to check as they have just had surgery, i'm scared i'll hurt them by picking them up.

Last edited:
might be worth picking them up carefully just to check - maybe he has opened his wound a little and been licking it - might be why he has blood on his face?

mine have just had their spays on thursday and need wounds checking - i found it worrying to pick them up too in case i hurt them. :(

i just held mine up with their bellies facing me, and blew on them to part their fur a little so you can check if its bleeding or not?

The vet said they didn't use stiches- they did something else- they don't need to come back etc. Not sure how that works. They are frightened about being picked up, i rarely pick them up off the ground.I always use a carrier to take them out to grass. I tend to have to pick up my poorly bunnies to medicate them so they are more used to it, but these too would be alot more scatty about being turned upside down. It's the same blood mark that made me get them neutered the other day when i fought they were fighting. Maybe it is something on the cage i've missed. Seems to be on his ear. I don't know if it's his claws need trimming. He hasn't been done in awhile, could this be causing it. I dont' feel comfortable doing this when he has just been done either.

Can not help with the catheta quirey but in answer to your question, we were advised to use ONLY hay after Jims had the chop, so they should be fine on the hay.

Thanks i took it out and put the paper in that night, but i'll probably let them have the top hay when i do the next clean. They seem happy at the moment on carefresh and shredded paper. I'm really happy. I think you are right cannula sounds like ear stuff.

Hi

They place a catherter into a vein in the ear so they can use a drip to administer the general anaesthetic and pain killers, so your bun will have a small blood mark on his ear and there may be a hard lump there for a couple of days after. This it totally normal and a bit naughty that this wasn't explained to you really.

He may have opened his wound up a bit, so just keep an eye out for blood on the bedding. The vets should also have asked you to make a follow up appointment about 7 days after the op to ensure everything has healed OK. You may want to book this in regardless, I know it's extra expense but it will be peace of mind.

Are you administering pain relief?

Bless the little plums :lol:

Back