• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i've emailed a hutch company

anaveragemuppet

Wise Old Thumper
to ask if they can make this
"hello!

i was looking at your hutches, they're gorgeous! but i need a bit bigger for my rabbit (soon to be rabbits!)

I was hoping for a double decker, attached to a run. the run and each hutch need to be about 2.5 foot tall. i'd need the run in front of the hutches. i'd like the set up to be about six feet wide, then the hutches to be three foot wide, and the run in front to be another three foot wide.

is this possible? i live in kidderminster (about to move house, so can't give exact postcode!)"

what do you guys think of the hutch i've suggested? does it sound ok for two buns? the girl we're hopefully bonding Zeke to is a medium sized bun, and Zeke we *think* is going to be a medium sized bun (we're not 100% sure on that though!)

I think it should be fine aslong as they have a permanent run of about 6ft x 6ft :)

well, seeing as i asked the company to put the run in front of the bottom hutch and each component to be 6foot by 3foot, that should be ok? the door would be left open of course as it'll be on concrete!

Yes that would be great :) How big would the run be?

well, imagine a double decker of five foot tall, with each hutch being six foot wide and three foot deep, then the run in front of the bottom hutch being six foot wide and three foot deep. that's how i meant it to be anyway!

I understand what you mean. You'd have the same space as a 6ft x 3ft hutch on top of a 6ft x 6ft run, its just that in your case half of the run would be made up of the bottom part of the hutch. The size is great. My only concern would be that if you have particularly active bunnies that because you effectively have split the bottom half you wouldn't have the open space for bunnies that are prone to tearing around. Does that make sense?

I understand what you mean. You'd have the same space as a 6ft x 3ft hutch on top of a 6ft x 6ft run, its just that in your case half of the run would be made up of the bottom part of the hutch. The size is great. My only concern would be that if you have particularly active bunnies that because you effectively have split the bottom half you wouldn't have the open space for bunnies that are prone to tearing around. Does that make sense?

do you think it's better to have the whole of the bottom as just a run with a single hutch on the top? i was just thinking it was better for the colder months :oops::oops::oops:

You could still have a double hutch that size that sits on top of the run. the more running space the better but im sure you dont need me to tell you that.

do you think it's better to have the whole of the bottom as just a run with a single hutch on the top? i was just thinking it was better for the colder months

I think its such a tough call. I totally agree with you that uk weather isn't often great so the more enclosed space the better. It would suit most my bunnies down to the ground. At the same time my little nethie loves nothing more than bombing around so a larger open area would suit him better. I really think it depends on the bunnies. Either way the area meets the total sqaure footage required.

Hi!:D

Sounds great - but the running about bit is a must for any bun for they so love ot binky and do the mad run about ina loop! :lol:

Im also sorting out the ideal hutch for outside - though they will be housebuns most of the itme!

Ive found a hutch thats a 3 tier one.....but would make some adjustments and think it would suit you nicely....so imagine a 6ft 3 tier hutch - with each tier high enough for the buns to stand up & stretch in (2.5 ft high on each level) - then the bottom level of the hutch has the welded mesh on the sides & or just the front that is doors that open up into the run....BUT the bottom tier base can be removed! then you have that extra running space that would be apart of the run! And oyu wold still have a double (2 tier) hutch above that for them ......also in the winter - you can either leave the base on the bototme tier out so they have the ground or put it in and they have a base flooring - either way - they then have 3 tiers in winter to run about in and summer it opens ito the run....obviosuly they will still need run time in the winter - but this just gives them another floor for when you shut them in the cage....:p

hope this makes sense! oooh - also if oyu have a lawn - you can move the hutch onto the grass for abit of nibleing and digging by just remonving the bottom base !;)

Back