• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur and EC

Those who have been studying EC over in the US say that Fenbendazole (Panacur) is actually ineffective against genuine EC, and are starting to use something else called Ponazuril (Marquis), which is a horse wormer and from what has been said, are seeing more success in that.

So I would say, from what they say, in a genuine case, the Panacur would not cure the bunny of EC. I don't know about inactive cases though.

There are several issues. I believe it only reduces the numbers of spores, rather than eradicates them altogether (this is my unscientific view). But, also there can be permanent damage from EC that cannot be eradicated so, in that sense, the rabbit is not cured.

It really depends on the case as to whether one dose of Panacur/Lapizole alone will do the job and leave the bunny 'cured'.

I don't know enough about this really but would just say there needs to be the special bleach cleaning on the correct days to break the cycle of reinfection (if reinfection is the correct word).

Hi Mousetarget

We have a lovely house bun Buttercup who is just recovering from a serious bout of EC. I took her to a very good vet Jason Burgess in Sedgely Gloucester and he treated her with the 28 day dose of panacur and an ongoing dose of metacam. Her bonded partner Squirrel was also given the 28 day dose of panacur as EC is contagious.

This was Buttercup's second attack of EC, the first was just over three months earlier when the symptoms were much less severe and when she was treated by another vet with a seven day course of panacur only.

Buttercup has completed the 28 day dose of panacur but the vet said she should continue with the metacam for now as this should help with the damage done to the brain caused by the parasite. He also suggested repeating the 28 day treatment of panacur every 4 - 6 months as a precaution.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Ruth

Hi :wave:

Sorry to hijack your thread but am glad this topic has come up, does Panacur prevent EC at all? I dont yet fully understand EC yet but having been reading some bits and pieces! :?

I have lost one rabbit to this, he had a slight head tilt one day then got an appointment for the vet the next day and before we went was fitting, we started him on the treatment but unfortunately he just got worse and had to be pts :(
In feb Charlie then seemed to have a slight head tilt and went of his food so we took him to the vet and he started him on panacur and after the 28 day treatment he was back to his normal lively self :)

Becca

Panacur can be used as a preventative measure, some people treat their rabbits with a 9 day dose a couple or so times a year. Buttercup our girl bun had a severe case of EC and both her and her partner Squirrel have just finished a 28 day dose prescribed by our vet however this was a higher dose than is normally given (by higher I mean stronger). They will be given another 28 day dose again as suggested by the vet every 4 - 6 months.

It that respect then I would say panacur is both a treatment to help 'cure' or eradicate EC and a preventative measure.

Hope this helps

Ruth

Back