• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run size

aerofine

Warren Scout
What height does the a run have to be for 2 Dutch rabbits? The size of the run will be 2ft by 6ft. Is this OK?

6ft x 2ft is the RSPCA recommended minimum hutch not run size. A run needs to be at least 6ft x 4ft x 2ft tall but preferably bigger to let them run around.

Hi

I can't have the run any wider than 2 ft, maybe 2.5 ft due to the location of our shed - the run is going to be attached to the shed with an access hole that will lead straight to the hutch. The hutch is a double hutch with ramp, 4ft by 2ft wide. The run will be 2ft high, that's what I wanted to know.

RSPCA and Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAFA) both recommend a mimimum of 6ftx2ftx2ft ( or a 5ft double, as an alternative) along with a 6ftx4ft run mimimum. These sizes work out at around 36 SQ ft for a pair of 'normal' sized rabbits

http://www.rspca-walsall.org.uk/newpages/rabbits.htm

From what you are saying your rabbits have access to a 4ft hutch and 6ftx2ft of run, I have assumed you hutch is 18 inches which is the standard shop bought hutch, plus the 6ftx2ft run means your rabbit actually has access to around 18 sq ft, which is around half of the MINIMUM amount of space recommended for a single or a pair of rabbits.

Could you not allow the to have the shed as their accomodation? rather than a hutch?

Could you not have a sheltered run that is seperate to the shed that you can put them in daily?

Something likse this would be ideal
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-x4ft-x2ft...es_Poultry?hash=item2a0203db59#ht_3679wt_1167

Last edited:
I can't take the whole shed up as the shed is also used to store the outside pen for our tortoises. They will have access to the run all of the time, even when we are out, as it will be completeky secure. So they will have daily access to it whwnever they wish. Unfortunately the run that you suggested is simply too big, the run can be no wider than 2ft or 2.5ft max.This is the hutch

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=73

Last edited:
Yes but the point is, 24 hr access or not, it is still not enough space for a pair of rabbits to live in permenantly. They need more space. The run I have suggested is the minimum amount of space a rabbit should have to exercise in on a daily, if not permenant basis

Could the tortoise's runs not go somewhere else. I put my spare rabbit runs etc on the top of my shed, maybe thats an option.

I recommend 3ft high for runs, as that's a comfortable size for humans to crawl in and rabbits could do a little jump in there too.

It couldn't go on top of the shed, no. I cannot take up the whole shed as well as regardless of the tortoise pens, the rabbit food, hay and shavings are stored in there.

to clean it out, the buns will poo in there and it will need to be cleaned. Also you will need someway of being able to catch them :)

to clean it out, the buns will poo in there and it will need to be cleaned. Also you will need someway of being able to catch them :)

But the lids of the runs will be on hinges and lift up, on either side (so 3 foot on each side). Don't think I will need to be getting in the run!!

they can all stored on a shelf in the shed that the buns can't get to :)

Really don't think I can store a bin full of food, and huge bags of hay and shavings on the shelves! I will try to have a think as we go along. We only get the bunnies tomorrow and we don't have the hutch as yet. For now, I am using the around 5ft by 5ft of the shed, which I have put a piece of wood in place to section the shed off, and leave around 1ft of room for storage. This is only temporary until we get the hutch. They will then have the hutch plus the temporary room in the shed. They will not be going into the run until they are both fixed.

im sorry thats not enough space.

I have my buns in a 6x5ft wendy house with a 6x4ft run, and even I now feel thats not enough, so they also get alot, and I do mean alot of freerange time.

Do you already have the buns? If so what are they in?

eta just seen your post, are they same sex?

how old are they?
are they same/different sex.

They will need more permanant space though!
That its like to living in your shed 24/7....a 6x4 shed!

If you have not bought the hutch yet why buy the rabbits? You should have everything set up before you bring your rabbits home. Did the breeder not ask what you are keeping them in?

Could you not get the 5ft double hutch instead of the 4ft, this will give them a little extra room once they have grown.

This is wat two rabbits in a 4ft hutch looks like
S5000938.jpg
Charlie is a little smaller than a dutch Princess a little larger.

Personally, and to the vast majority of people on here this is not how we like to see rabbits live.

If you can't provide the correct accomodation for rabbits to live in, in the correct sizes I would really not go and buy those babies tonight. Let someone else get them and take care of them properly.

Really don't think I can store a bin full of food, and huge bags of hay and shavings on the shelves! I will try to have a think as we go along. We only get the bunnies tomorrow and we don't have the hutch as yet. For now, I am using the around 5ft by 5ft of the shed, which I have put a piece of wood in place to section the shed off, and leave around 1ft of room for storage. This is only temporary until we get the hutch. They will then have the hutch plus the temporary room in the shed. They will not be going into the run until they are both fixed.

I managed to get a farm bale of hay on one shelf, and they use the others to jump and play on, the big tub I store food in also doubles as a play toy for them to jump on. My snuggle safes, spare toys, litter trays treats and treat hay all go on another shelf. It is possible.

Why can't they go outside until neutered?

I could not get the hutch delivered until next week, but the area that I am providing them is way bigger than the hutches they are currently in at the breeders. They have a small rabbit house to sleep in and plenty of room to play and explore in until the hutch comes next week (as explained above). Please do not speak to me as if I am going to neglect my new pets, and not look after them properly. I find this highly insulting.

I managed to get a farm bale of hay on one shelf, and they use the others to jump and play on, the big tub I store food in also doubles as a play toy for them to jump on. My snuggle safes, spare toys, litter trays treats and treat hay all go on another shelf. It is possible.

Why can't they go outside until neutered?

I want the run area to be neutral territory for rebonding them. You have not even asked how big my shed is or how big the shelves are? There is now way I can fit a bale of hay on the shelves.

Last edited:
Back