• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fussy eaters

fluffyfred

Alpha Buck
Took Flower to the vets today as I noticed she was losing weight and didn't appear to be eating much.

Last week, I ran out of nuggets. I normally give them a small handful each day as a treat on top of their hay and a small amount of veg or fruit.

I then got my hay as normal from our local pet shop and the hay didn't look or smell as appetising as usual. The buns were eating it though so thought nothing of it. Didn't buy any more nuggets in the meantime as I thought that nuggets weren't necessary.

The vets said she was underweight and slightly dehydrated but I have seen her eating and drinking. She did appear to be picking bits out of the hay though and leaving the rest.

In the end, I got the bus to P@H as that is the only petshop I know of who do nuggets and gave her a handful. She wolfed them down like nobody's business!

The vet thinks she's just being a bit fussy and has said I am fine to give her nuggets in the short term while I'm trying to get her to eat hay again, but she's also suggested I give her a wider variety of vegetables as well, as she thinks Flower might be getting bored, unlike the others who will eat what is put in front of them :lol:

Have got to take her back tomorrow though as they have given her some fluids today to rehydrate her enough to take some bloods. Flower and Bruce have been going through 2.4 litres of water every day. There's no leak in the bottles and Flower seems to be on the bottle a lot more than Bruce, so she's got to have some bloods done to rule out any problems.

Other than being a fussy little madam though, she's her normal fiesty self and I've got the scars to prove it:lol:

In a way I'm not sure why I'm posting this as I'm seeking vet help etc for her, I suppose I would like to know if others have fussy eaters as well?

ETA: I love having a huge garden, I got quite a few dandelions which all the buns loved today:D

Yes, they did that today and last time I had to take her and they're fine. That was my main concern last time but they are satisfied with everything apart from the not eating thing.

I think I'll have a chat to the guy at the petshop tomorrow as well to find out whether he's changed his hay supplier as this latest batch just doesn't seem the same as usual. The other buns are eating it but I'm wondering if there's a slight difference and Flower's picked up on it.

This is going to sound daft, but is it possible that she's picking up vibes from me? I start a new job tomorrow and although I'm excited, I'm also nervous. Could it be that she's picked up on that and it's upset her a bit? I'd find it odd though as she doesn't like me as much as hubby, she's a proper Daddy's girl :love:

Back