• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can bunnies be bonded too closely to their mum?

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Just wondering what folk think. I have a elderly male:female pair of buns who are very closely bonded to one another. They are also very close to me. They will let other people handle them and are very good at the vets but I just worry they shouldn't be so attached to a human? I'm probably fretting cos I've had a long week!!!!!:love:

Must ahve been a long week.
Bunnies will only bond to each other or to you if they want it. All my rabbits are different.

Sophie and Granite are strongly bonded to each other, to the point where Granite sees other boy buns as a threat. Neither have a liking for humans either :( but they have each other.

Belle and Charlie are not so close, enjoy each others company and enjoy my company too.

To be honest, I don't think they can. Well, actually, scrap that, my Sky reckons I am his bondmate. He gets jealous when I smell of other bunnies and he won't bond with anyone. He also pines and gets ill if I'm away, so in that sense, if he could cope without me that would be better for him. But, all that can apply to having a bonded bunny friend too.

I think the worst thing about being really closely bonded with a rabbit is actually losing the rabbit.

I'll second that.
Squidgy was very much bonded to us - we were his buddies, and he'd groom us, follow us around the house and was very confident and comfortable around other hoomans as well.
Our favourite time was all (my o/h, Squidgy and I) sitting watching tv whilst Squidge was stroked by both of us and then took his turn to groom us.
It hurts so much now that he's gone, but I'm so pleased that we had that bond.
xxxxx

Thanks all, makes me feel better that other people are so close to their buns. I think it's more of a problem for me being so fond of them!!!Especially in their old age. When he was poorly and ended up in bunny hospital (with her too obviously) it was her who went off her food. I'm sure that was the stress of the strange environment more than "missing me".
Watched them today stretched out with their tummies on the cool earth, makes me so happy!!!!

I don't think it matters, because if they trust one human alot they are more likely to trust other humans!

my skipper is kind of finiky. one minute he loves me more than anything, next minute hes showing me his rear end and ignoring me.

Mine is an only bun, and now he lives indoors seems I am his bondmate! If I'm upstairs he'll wander in and out of the hallway waiting/looking for me

He'll let my other half close to him, but is generally moves out of reach if he tries to stroke him, but happily jumps up on the sofa to sit on me of an evening and knaws at my dressing gown! He's my first rabbit, I never knew they could be such characters

Back