• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help... my bun is leaning to the side is this normal

I would also not seperate, the stress of being seperate won't help him and if they have lived together they probably both have E.C. anyway (up to 50% of buns do!). So just treat them both with the Lapizole or Panacur.

Hi amme

I have had very recent experience of a bun with head tilt caused by e cuniculi and she is one of a bonded pair too.

There is no need to separate them and in fact I was told that it is best to keep them together as if your bun is feeling ill she will need the support off her 'partner'. What is important is that BOTH buns are treated with panacur or its equivilant for 28 days NOT THE NINE DAYS as some vets do. Also the suggestion here for an anti inflamatory is good advice - this is needed as pain relief and to bring down any inflamation in the brain which is attacked by the ecuniculi parasite.

Make sure you get the 28 day treatment, clean everything (with a bleach solution 10ml bleach / 90ml water) and then rinse very well. This is because the spores of this parasite live on places the buns have wee'd etc. I was advised to bleach at 14, 21 and 28 days (with the 21 and 28 being the most important - don't know why??)

I trawled through 5-6 vets over three different practices before finding a 'saviour' for my Buttercup in Jason Burgess in Sedgeley Gloucester. He also recommended a higher dose of panacur than is normally given for rabbits to prevent ecuniculi - check this too with your vet or if possible (of course depending on where you live and distance etc) try to get an appt with Jason.
Many others on here have recommended him too.

Good luck, be aware your bun may get worse before she gets better but don't give up. With the right treatment (meds and TLC) both buns should be fine.

Best wishes to you and your buns
Ruth

Thanks for the advice on cleaning j did ask the vet and he said there was no need to!!!!!!!!!!! They are in a wooden hutch inside a shed. The bottom of the shed is lined with lino. We r on holiday at the mo and they are with us so when I get back going to get the woooden hutch out and jetcwash it, bleach it and creosote it, then cover the bottom in lino.

Back