• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Starbuck's Eyes

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
There's two things in this post really:

1) I was just trying to give Starbuck his Baytril when he squirmed and flinched (as he does!) and I think he may have caught the syringe in his eye. My reflexes arent quick enough and I didnt move out of the way in time. His eye is a bit watery but he seems ok...is there anything I should do to soothe it or just leave it alone?

2) He is going in to the vets for x-ray under sedation tomorrow morning to have a proper look at his eyes and the tear ducts and the teeth. I am quite nervous as I have not had to put any of them through sedation before. Particularly as I dont know how old he is. Any vibes for him would be great and also is there anything I should do or have for aftercare?

Sorry I seem to keep starting loads of new threads lately!

Thank you
Helen

Thank you Kermit.

He doesnt seem too bothered to be honest and although it was a bit watery it doesnt look red or anything. So I think I will just leave him be as giving the Baytril is stressful enough!

i had to give bayrtill to bailey for 8days, and she will not allow herself to be syringe fed! i got around this by getting a small bowl instead of a big one for her water not filling it all the way and putting the baytrill in there, it worked really well, if i gave her the morning dose early enough she would of finnished it all by the evening dose was due,
x

Hows the wee baby's eyes this morning??

Oops, sorry, I forgot to check back until now. His eyes are fine thank you, the x-ray and GA went well, and he has had a really good flush of his tear ducts. He has lots of energy now so I wonder if his bad eyes were keeping him quite subdued. Poor little man. He is so lovely!

Back