• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Floppy- lump in dewlap

MPHF

Alpha Buck
Today, we found a hard lump in Floppy's dewlap. She has been on Metacam since christmas time because of the beginning's of arthiritis in her leg which she broke last year. We think she is a Holland lop at about 6 nearly 7 years old. Everything is normal, eating, pooing, weeing but she seems to be drinking more than usual and seems a bit quiter than normal. The lump is kinda in the middle of her dewlap but more swollen on the left hand side. It's bigger than a pea but not quite a golfball, kind of like an olive. Last Monday she had her Myxi jab but bounced back from that fine.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? :?:

Poor Floppy and poor you guys.

I would suggest getting her checked. If she stays stable then Monday should be fine, but obviously if she deteriorates then get her seen ASAP, especially if she stops eating or looks in obvious pain or anything.

Can you see anything on the skin or is it completely in the dewlap?

I would be wondering about a fatty lump, cyst, tumour or abscess but obviously those are far and wide and realms apart and we can'ty be anymore specific really, because we don't know. The vets also probably wouldn't be able to know without diagnostics being done.

Does it seem sore to her? Is she on her maximum Metacam does? Is she still eating and stuff?

If I can help at all let me know. I'll help if I can :)

It doesn't hurt her at all. She let us have a good feel around. There is nothing on the skin. She is on five drops of Metacam that she had this morning. Harley is occasionally going near her but spent alot of time away from her this afternoon. When Floppy goes off her food, we will be really worried.
Thanks for the help.

Is Harley acting as he did before she went on the Metacam?

She can't really have anymore Metacam than that, but its good it doesn't cause her pain. It seems to be taking some sort of toll on her though.

Hopefully its just a fatty lump that is annoying her.

Yeah he is a bit. Floppy has just eaten her tea fine so hopefully she will be able to go on ok till Monday. She was a bit fiesty like the run up before she broke her leg.

The lump is attached and is very hard. Is it common for an abscess to be hard? She is still eating, drinking, pooing and peeing normally today. She is acting as if nothing is wrong.
We have a vet appointment booked for tomorrow evening for Minstrel and Penguins jabs but will change it so Floppy can get seen.

My bet would be a dental abscess.They can be quite big and firm. My big boy has a dental currently and I spent 3 weeks going to a local vet and I wasn't 100% happy with advice. Drove 130 miles to a vet I saw before I moved and he's getting there with big sorts of antibiotics and a mega dose of metacam. Good luck and hope they're all fine x

The vet suspects an abscess so she is in for a GA on Wednesday to drain and flush it. Also, the vet thinks there is a small abscess on her jaw - just like Minnie. He said an x-ray may be worthwhile to see what her teeth are like but is not necessary. She was only at the vets last Monday and there were no signs of any abscesses. Things can develop so quickly.

is your vet planning on prescribing metacam long term? im only saying this as ive had a recent experiance with my labrador who has severe arthiritis, the vet we were with has been prescribing her metcam since she was a puppy (shes now 7!) we didnt realise how damaging it is long term till we changed vets a month ago, our new vet told us metacam is really damaging to the stomach, obviousley this was in a dogs case, but im assuming it would be the same long term for a bunn...

bunnies are generally a lot more tolerent of metacam than either cats or dogs so I don't think that a long term prescription of metacam for a 6-7 year old should be that much of a problem.

Buns tolerate metacam very very well. Bun will definitely need antibiotics and may be worth asking your vet to leave the abscess open so you can wash it out or fill it manuka honey (cheap medical grade stuff available on line). I'm 5 weeks into treating a big dental abscess in my 8 year old boy bun, it can be a long battle but hopefully much simpler for you (previous bun had abscess that settled very quickly, didn't realise how lucky I'ld been last time).Good luck xx

Just heard from the vet. Floppy has tooth root problems. She had her abscess lanced, drained and is left open. She is coming home at 5pm. She has some septrin and will be having convenia injections. Now I have to get my head around having two bunnies who will die from tooth root problems. I am sooooo upset.:cry:

am really sorry ro hear about the tooth problems,
so many bunns seem to have them now, my bun baileys had a dental yesterday as her jaws misaligned and is spurring,
its a really awfull thing to deal with as its ongoing, hope your bunny is ok x

Floppy's home now.
We have to flush the wound daily and she has to have 1ml of Septrin daily. She seems ok at the moment, bit quiet from the anaesthetic but ok. She has pooed, peed, eaten some hay and drunk a little. The wound is smaller than I thought it would be and looks really clean. Hopefully she'll be ok. :love:

Hi - just wanted to send lots of vibes for Floppy. xx

I've had ratties with abcesses and they are horrible things. (You never forget the smell of an abcess....).

Am sorry to hear about her root-problems too. Sending vibes anyway, bless her x

Feeling really confused at the moment. Don't know if Floppy should be grooming the wound or not? The vet didn't want the wound to heal so would it really hurt for her to groom it seeing as when they have stitches they say that the area shouldn't be over groomed. So if the area shouldn'y heal, it's ok for her to groom, yeah? (if that makes any sense at all?)

She's just layed down and looks much more comfortable, now she realises where she is. Harley is being nursey again and has washed her eyes and ate her sleepy from her eyes for her :) Bless him ;)

Just wanted to say that I don't think the wound is deep enough to fill with the manuka honey. Could it be done with a dressing? And if so what type of dressing is best to use?

Just an update on how Flops has been getting on.

She has been back to the vet because she wasn't eating much earlier, no pellets or hay just treats which were making her have diahrrea. We also mentioned stronger pain meds. The vet can't offer anything stronger that we can give orally but he did give her an injection of Vetergesic. Since the vet appointment she has eaten after about three hours after being home from the vets. We gave her infacol, fibreplex and water to get her gut more stable and to make her eat and to keep her hydrated. We really had to pester her to get her to eat but at the moment we are just happy she's eaten something. Now she is really sleepy and doesn't seem like the real Flops. She's just huddled in the corner and I'm thinking the worst all the time

Come on Flops :cry:

Back