• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tomorrow is the big day!!!/U/D post 20...Licking wound..HELP!!! post 22

Jaki5

Alpha Buck
:wave: Hey Everyone!!

Not been on in ages, Jack is booked in for her spay next thursday and I'm mega nervous for her already!!
I know it's for the best but I'm just worried something goes wrong, wouldn't be able to handle that at all.
Any advice on how to make her recovery more comfortable for her?
My fiance and I are both off to take care of her as the vet said the first 24 hours are important.
Thanks xx

Last edited:
Good luck to Jaki! :love::love:

Just get some of her favourite herbs for when she gets out. Have some nice clean vet bed/fleece ready for her to lie on.

Hi! :wave:

New here....but did read about vet-beds too....apparently you can chuck them in the washing machine and they last forever....not sure about if bun eats it though?

Something soft and cushy for her to lie/rest on would make her feel much better too i think....

Also read that some vets use internal dissolvable stiches which helps them stay in and heals better? perhaps ask your vet?

Best of luck...!

xxxx:love:

:wave: Chelle

Thanks for replying! My cousin (Kermit on here) has been giving me great advice to. Not sure i'll bother with the vet bed as Jack already has a blanket she plays with in her run so I know she likes it and should be comfortable on their.

Thinking of asking for a sedative for me to calm my nerves :lol:

Will let you know how she gets on, my poor little lamb xxx

:wave: Chelle

Thanks for replying! My cousin (Kermit on here) has been giving me great advice to. Not sure i'll bother with the vet bed as Jack already has a blanket she plays with in her run so I know she likes it and should be comfortable on their.

Thinking of asking for a sedative for me to calm my nerves :lol:

Will let you know how she gets on, my poor little lamb xxx

I'd give her her normal blanket then! :) She'll just need something soft to lie on, which keeps her wound clean.

I'd keep her under strict cage rest for a few days. ....ok...maybe not really strict...but she should only come out for cuddles! :love:

:wave: My little Faith is booked in to be spayed on Wednesday, so I know how nervous you feel. I'll be a nervous wreck when she's away!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd give her her normal blanket then! :) She'll just need something soft to lie on, which keeps her wound clean.

I'd keep her under strict cage rest for a few days. ....ok...maybe not really strict...but she should only come out for cuddles! :love:

I think i'll be pitching up a bed in her run with her for the first night :lol:
It all sounds so complicated I'm worried I don;t give her the right after care, just so unsure of it all beginning to talk myself out of it altogether x

:wave: My little Faith is booked in to be spayed on Wednesday, so I know how nervous you feel. I'll be a nervous wreck when she's away!!!

Oh good luck to Faith!! You'll need to let me know how it goes and how you managed to keep yourself calm x

Thanks for the good luck. I hope Jack gets on well. Faith is quite little so I'm just really worried about her getting through it and don't want to think about afterwards too much in case I jinks things. I shall copy any advice you are given though :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good luck. I hope Jack gets on well. Faith is quite little so I'm just really worried about her getting through it and don't want to think about afterwards too much in case I jinks things. I shall copy any advice you are given though :lol:.

I'll cross my fingers for her and send lots of vibes! I'm sure she will be totally fine though x

Tomorrow is the big day for Jack's Op, really nervous and just know I'm gonna be an emotional wreck leaving her at the vets:? Need all the vibes that are going for her to be ok x

:wave: Good luck vibes for Jaki, thought I hadn't seen you for ages - Nessie was spayed recently and it was quite stressful, let her be warm and quiet for a good few hours, offer some nice cooled boiled water in a bowl, some nice fragrant herbs like basil and parsley and even a small piece of banana, she does still need her hay in a bowl or rack just so it won't irritate the wound. Nessie wouldn't eat for ages and I started to panick by the next day and took her back to the vets for sub cut fluids, metaclop (gut stimulant) and I was given metacam to bring home with critical care, only needed the metacam till the Sunday (one dose) she was spayed on the Friday - and thankfully she started eating, it is important i think personally to keep things as normal as possible and not stress her, let her relax she will be so drained. I put Ness out on the Sunday (she is outdoor) and I am convinced that helped her as it was more familiar than being indoors, I really think normality is so helpful to rabbits who are poorly or in recovery. Best of luck x

thank goodness i found this thread im looking into getting my rabbit neutered.
im just cleaning up my room and re-arranging my furniture to be able to fit his cage/pen together in there. i was going to do this while he was gone for the two days but as per the post above me i guess this is a bad idea? should i introduce him to the new surroundings before?

:wave: Good luck vibes for Jaki, thought I hadn't seen you for ages - Nessie was spayed recently and it was quite stressful, let her be warm and quiet for a good few hours, offer some nice cooled boiled water in a bowl, some nice fragrant herbs like basil and parsley and even a small piece of banana, she does still need her hay in a bowl or rack just so it won't irritate the wound. Nessie wouldn't eat for ages and I started to panick by the next day and took her back to the vets for sub cut fluids, metaclop (gut stimulant) and I was given metacam to bring home with critical care, only needed the metacam till the Sunday (one dose) she was spayed on the Friday - and thankfully she started eating, it is important i think personally to keep things as normal as possible and not stress her, let her relax she will be so drained. I put Ness out on the Sunday (she is outdoor) and I am convinced that helped her as it was more familiar than being indoors, I really think normality is so helpful to rabbits who are poorly or in recovery. Best of luck x

Hey yeah I've not been on for a while. Thanks for your advice got her settled into her run now (indoors) and she is seeming ok. She is eating some hay as we speak but she hasn't touched her veg. Got a bowl of water for her. Think your right to just leave her alone for a bit as I was fussing over her to much lol.
Got metacam to give tomorrow and then back to the vets on sat for a check up so fingers crossed she is back to her normal wee self soon x

Got my girl back from the vets and everything went ok YAY!! Just letting her get settled into her run and hope she eats something soon. She has pooed and peed which I think is a good sign?!
Back to the vets on Sat for a check up and then again on Thurs for her jags! xx

Back