• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need some Bunny advice please :)

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
I need too get my rabbit a friend as shes lonely... Anyway unfortunatly she hasnt had her myxi or vhd jab yet.. so what order should i do things.. Like should i spay then get myxi then vhd? or ? What should i do?

Also does anybody know where you can get cheaper hay from? because at the mo i buy it from pets at home and its really expensive..
Thankies

Myxi first, wait two weeks, then VHD, wait two weeks then the neutering. You can talk to the vet about getting her neutered whilst you take her in for the vaccinations and they can give her a check over.

Jollyes sell a hay that is cheaper than pets at home, it's about £5 but you get a lot more hay for that money. It's not fantastic though and I like to supplement it with small amounts of other hays. You could also try your local farm shop or horse supply shop, they often sell hay in bulk.

:wave: Hi personally I would allow longer between the vaccinations and the spay if at all possible because of the stress factor and the amount of chemicals involved in the anathestic process on top of two lots of vaccines is a lot for a little body to cope with. If you can allow more time in between it is better I think. I went for 3 weeks between vacinations and a good couple of months after the vacs then before having mine spayed/neutered.

www.hayexperts.co.uk have a really good range of hay and whilst some of it is seemingly more expensive actually the quality far outweighs pets at home. They do a meadow hay (cheaper) for the litter trays and various yummy edible hays for the hayrack or to stuff into toilet roll cardboard tubes like Oat Hay, Timothy Hay, Chamomile Hay etc the dried herbs etc and Dandelion and Plantain are really good to have in aswell. A lot of people buy their hay by the bale from a local farm so it may be worth putting up a thread asking for local hay suppliers in ........your area and others will advise you hopefully, you can buy good storeage for bales from argos aswell, i think they are about £35.00. Best of luck your bun definately needs to be spayed/neutered before attempting to rescue/adopt and bond another companion though. :)

Back