• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Stasis

Maddy-Hazel

Warren Scout
Hello again! I know I just posted recently about my bunny being skinny, so I wanted to clear some things up before I ask questions. Hazel has been a little underweight since the day I got him, but always has constant access to hay and pelets, and once he'd settled in here got a little carrot or apple as a treat. He's always been very active and lively and the poops, omigosh the poops:lol:
His teeth are fine, him going off his pellets was him being grumpy, since I noticed if my OH filled it he's eat it fine, I think he just like him better than me:roll: Silly bunny rabbit.
Unfortunately while he was out today he seemed very agitated, running around a lot. Also he only pooped once and it was very small and soft. The poor little thing is only 7 months at most (though I suspect the terrible lady at the shop lied about his age when I first got him) and I feel like a terrible bunny mum letting him get sick like this.
My question is, how much does it usually cost to treat a bunny for stasis? I currently only have enough for the vets appointment so I need to know so I can see if my family can't help a little. Unfortunately bunnies are seen as more disposable pets by most of my family, and I need to know some definite numbers before I try to appeal to them.
On the good side, the vet across the street has a doctor dedicated to bunnies who comes in on certain days, let's hope one is tomorrow!

its difficult to put a price on it as all vets charge differently and it depend son how long the stasis goes on, also it depend son the particular bun as meds are given based on weight therefore a smaller bun may neeed less medication thus being cheaper also it depends on what has casued the stassis to begin with, generalyl buns in stasis sit hunched up in pain not runnign around but you know your bun, cpould the soft poo be an excess casecotroph?(the edible ones) also could if it is stasis it is likely due to the changes of moving to an ew home being seperated form litter mates and mum the journey, change in diet all rabbit dietry changes need to be very small and some people suggest no vegatation should be fed to a baby rabbit unless their mother was fed it thorugh the pregnancy as thier tums cant cope, feeding a junior nugget food may help as will ensureing 90%of diet is hay/grass if bun was brought up with mother on it if not wait till he is older to introduce grass and do it graduallly.edit if the bun is in stasis it is imperitive it sees a vet imediatly hours can be the difference between life and death bunnys are fragile in that respect. x

If you are in Western Canada, the vet appt. will cost you $95+GST.

A possible explanation of these scenario could easily be the fact that there is also a lot of health problems w/ breeder's rabbits. There is usually a lack of genetic diversification. My bridge bun Goofball, who's a breeder's rabbit, passed away w/ post-dental surgery problems, and she had bone cancer at the age just less than 2.

You should have go to SPCA and get a rescue rabbits. You save a life that way. My current buns are from SPCA, very strong genes

Our bun often gets stasis. We try and treat it ourselves with some pineapple juice and by massaging his tummy. You can also try cat hairball paste.

Failing that the vet sorts it out in one go with a shot of something which gets his gut moving. Normally costs about £50 which includes the consultation fee. Later that same day hell do a poop and be on his merry way.

Thank you all for your support and advice :D I hasn't going to buy a bunny originally, and was just in the shop to look at cages when I saw him. He was in this little tiny cage with a wire bottom. Another woman was in, buying rats to feed to her snake and she said something about getting the rabbit for the snake. Totally serious, the shop lady said she would give a discount if he was just going to be feed. Hazel is a beautiful white lionhead with brown and gray spots and I couldn't stand the thought of a snake eating him :( I've never gone in that shop again though I hear they have 3 large rexs crammed into that same tiny cage, and are selling them for $10. she said he was two months so and not to feed him veg till he was 4 months. I waited and introduced some veg slowly and he loved it. I may have been mislead about his age, as according to the lady he should be almost 8 months, but he hasn't gone through a molt yet, and his plums haven't descended, though I'm 75% sure he is male.
Unfortunately most vets around her don't see rabbits, and the vet I mentioned before is on holiday. Right now I'm on the hunt for a bunny vet. A friend of mine used to have a nice bunny and said his vet was the best, I'm just waiting on the phone number currently.
More good news, he's eating his hay, and it looks like he's been pooping. I gave him some pellets today and as usual, he grunted and tipped the bowl over until my OH came and filled it:lol:. He gets so peeved if I put my hands in the top door of his cage instead of the side. So cheeky. I may have overreacted but I want to get him into the vet anyways. Make sure he's healthy, find out if he's really a he :roll: Usually when he's out on the bed he poops everywhere, maybe he's just gotten a little older and is pooping more in his box and I haven't noticed?

Last edited:
It seems I may have overreacted. He's pooping again and I think perhaps before he was pooping too much, and now has evened out. I was used to having to clean up his poop every five minutes that when he started using his box more and pooping on the bed less I panicked.
He's out on the bed now and he's pooping and eating hay. I tried to get him to eat some rolled oats with a bit of honey but he's turned his nose up at it. He's so picky, he reminds me of my OH.

Back