• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pungent soft poo and liquid poo?

Stacey84

Young Bun
He-Man has lately started producing some stinky soft poo and has had a few liquid poos over the last couple of weeks too. The liquid is thick and dark so it's definately not urine, which in his case is usually orange.

His stinky poos started after his first venture into the garden. As a result I've kept him inside and stopped all his fresh food. Despite that the stinkys continue and today there was another liquid doody on his vet bed. :(

I have fibreplex but there's nothing wrong with his going poo so haven't given him any. I've got Avipro Plus. Should I start putting that in his water?
He needs to be wormed but is an absolute nightmare when trying to administer anything. I've considered putting the panacur on food and letting him eat it like that as my skunk eats it off his food no problem, but I've cut fresh food from He-Man's diet because of his poo. What should I do to get him to take in his worming paste?

I'm thinking of stopping his food for a couple of days and only providing hay but he consumes so much food that I worry he might eat all his hay while I sleep then be left with nothing to eat.

Any advice?

I am in no way an expert but possibly he has picked up worms from the grass or some sort of bacteria? Or could he have eaten a plant he shouldnt? It is really difficult to say but to be honest I would take him to the vet if you havent already and get their opinion? Praps scoop up a dodgy poo :mrgreen: and take that to show them too.
Is he managing to keep his bum clean if the poos are very runny and stinky? That will become a worry from the point of view of flies too as the weather warms.
I dont know tbh if panacur can be reliably given on anything. I've not had to worry with mine as they all take it quite well. So i'm a bit clueless as far as that goes :?
My little bunny Picollo just started with a very runny bum this morning and went straight to the vet and has been kept in. I think bunnies with diarheoa (sp) can become dehydrated quite quick too.
I guess some people would do the other things you've suggested. I'm just a bit fearful and over anxious with my buns and would always get a vets advice with tummy bother like that :)
ETA: I dont think there is any harm in giving him Avipro but I think I would still get a vets advice if it were me x

Last edited:
Do you get wildie buns in your garden? I can't recommend a stool sample highly enough, as worms and coccidiosis from the grass nearly killed my rabbits. Diarrhoea in buns is always serious.

Edit: When you go to the vets take a sample you've gathered over a number of days too - that'll help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation Fairy. He-Man has always been one to drink a lot but he gets a clean bill of health from the vet. (Been a few times recently for checkup and vaccinations.)
It's not like the mucoid statis droppings, and the smell is one I recognise from my rabbits when I was a child.
I was with him the entire time in the garden as we have a dog. There was no dog mess in the garden but worms are a possibility, but not bad plants.

I'll contact my vet on Monday and see what he says. In the meantime I'll start using Avipro Plus as it can be used on a regular basis and I'll see if I can get my bunny beast to take some worming paste. ;)

We dont get wild rabbits around here. I live in Croydon. The closest wild rabbits are in mitcham to my knowledge.
He had his myxo and vhd vaccis so was allowed out since last week.
If there's another runny one I'll have to save that somehow for my vet. As for the stinky ones, I'm sure it's only a matter of time for one of those to drop.

Don't know how I'm going to store the poo but I'll collect a few stool samples as you've recommended. Thank you!

Back