Thread: Are baby rabbits suppose to bite/nip?

Hybrid View

Warren Scout

Default Are baby rabbits suppose to bite/nip?

Hi, My 10week old lop doesn't like being handled he constantly nips and nudges your hand, what am I doing wrong?
    I have 4 other bunnys and they didn't bite/nip when they were babies.

Not all rabbits like to be handled When a rabbit is picked up, its either 'flight or fright' Theyre either absolutely petrified so they dont move, or they jump! Your baby is obviously scared Id spend time getting down to his level and talking to him so he gets used to your voice. Offer him treats so he gets used to coming to you

Are you sure he is nipping? Scamp spends ages licking us! xXx
    Could you offer one of our bunnies in care a forever home?? RSPCA Walsall Bunnies

Warren Scout

quote=Becky

Are you sure he is nipping? Scamp spends ages licking us!

He is definately nipping, sometimes he does it when he wants the toilet but he seems to do it alot now, I should give him time as I have only had him 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel D View Post
    quote=Becky

Are you sure he is nipping? Scamp spends ages licking us!

He is definately nipping, sometimes he does it when he wants the toilet but he seems to do it alot now, I should give him time as I have only had him 3 days.

Gosh yes Mel, very early days and in fact if he is nipping to tell you something that is actually really good, I would avoid telling him off at all costs, keep it really positive, sounds like you might have a switched on little buck actually!

Human liberation will begin when we understand that our evolution and fulfilment are contingent on the recognition of animal rights and on a compassionate and responsible stewardship of nature.
    Dr Michael W.Fox (1937 - )♥

http://www.peta.org.uk/

Warren Scout

I don't know whether I have done the right thing, I thought he might be a little bored, So I slowly introduced him with my neutered 8mth old male yesterday with no problems and today they are getting on really well and are cuddled up together in their house I think they have made friends, there has been no sign of aggression and when they are running around in the living room they do a dance and they run around kicking their legs in the air.

Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Miles from anybun..

Quote Originally Posted by Mel D View Post
    I don't know whether I have done the right thing, I thought he might be a little bored, So I slowly introduced him with my neutered 8mth old male yesterday with no problems and today they are getting on really well and are cuddled up together in their house I think they have made friends, there has been no sign of aggression and when they are running around in the living room they do a dance and they run around kicking their legs in the air.
    See this thread... DONT try to put two male buns together, especially if one is un-neutered.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=219021

Your bun is still trying to adapt to new surroundings, and you, and is showing you signs that he is frightened.
    Give him chance to acclimatize to his new family, before you consider having him neutered and then possibly (but not recommended) introducing him to another male.
    You would be much safer after he is neutered to get advice on bonding him to a female neutered rabbit.

Make Mine Chocolate... except for my 4 rescued buns.

It depends on the rabbit and the way it's been handled. This rabbit may have already learned 'self-defence' - the only way they can defend themselves is to bite/nip us, it's indicative I think that your bunny is actually fearful. I would avoid picking up and start at the beginning by letting your bun come to you, sit on the floor or lie down and remain still, when your bunny nudges you it means it wants your attention so ensure he/she can see your hand by coming round the side rather than from the front over the head which can frighten them, hold your hand flat as you would with a horse and let your bunny sniff you before you stroke it. Make the effort to hand feed your bunny and a baby particularly will need lots of toys/things to do to burn off excess energy. Hormones of course may play a part but, often this sort of behaviour indicates frustration in one form or another.

Does bunny have lots of hay and tunnels/boxes to jump in and on and it's own little zone?

Human liberation will begin when we understand that our evolution and fulfilment are contingent on the recognition of animal rights and on a compassionate and responsible stewardship of nature.
    Dr Michael W.Fox (1937 - )♥

http://www.peta.org.uk/