• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please-B is pooping every where

BumbleB

New Kit
Hello all,
I'm new here and i need help.
Bumble is my 4 year old dutch house rabbit, male, neutered. He has in the last two days started pooping every where. Its almost like he doesn't know he's doing it.
I litter trained him when i got him at 9 months and have never had a problem before now. He is still using his litter tray at times and still eating and drinking.
please can any one advise!
Thanks

rabbits also use thair droppings to mark thair territory have there been any sudden changes (redecorating, new furniture, new people/pet) that could be making him feel insecure/threatened?

pooping

Hello all,
I'm new here and i need help.
Bumble is my 4 year old dutch house rabbit, male, neutered. He has in the last two days started pooping every where. Its almost like he doesn't know he's doing it.
I litter trained him when i got him at 9 months and have never had a problem before now. He is still using his litter tray at times and still eating and drinking.
please can any one advise!
Thanks

though pooping is not abnormal,,we would like them in a particular area...i use timothy grass in the hay bin,,poop box,,and not just one box,,place an extra one where he seems to wander...the happy trail...sincerely james waller:love:

it sounds teritorial....bertie does that but then he also does it to his food bowl..then across the lounge to his litter tray and haybox....i read this is the whole "breadcrumbs" idea to find their way..i must admit my first doe did this too.
he also poops in his sleep tho:oops::lol:

are you coming in smelling of anohter bun or a dog/cat etc? or is someone coming in doused in too much aftershave/bodyspray/hairspray/cosmetics/perfume? they also wee to knock out the smell and let everyone know theyre boss!! they also dislike strong cooking smells and cigarette smoke.

if its with other symptoms and hes under the weather...then its cos hes unwell....

good luck!
btw bertie my bun is a frenchie and the cats think his huge poops are the best knock about toys ever!!!:shock::oops::oops::lol::lol:

No He is on his own, he had to be separated from the litter due to his bad temper.

is the rest of the litter near by? is he had a change in cleaning product etc? i would jsut keep popping the poops back in his litter tray and placing him in there if possible after. x

When my bunny didnt have a partner he would do that to. And now that he has a partner, if I seperate them for some time he goes back to the same habit. I think he does it because he wants to see what he can get away with while his wifey is away.
But there are many reasons why he could be doing this. If he was in a large litter before in a small setting he might not have had room to designate where he goes and so now he just goes wherever...
Some rabbits litter train instinctively and some dont but he should get it with good effort...also they like a large litterpan...My bunnies are smaller but they insist on large cat pans.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for all your help, He seems to have stopped for now. But all your advise is much appreciated!
xxx
love me and B

Back