• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccination

lornatrae

Young Bun
Well it's that time of year for my bunnies again where Pepper has to miss out on the VHD vaccination because of her allergy. Dylan had his on Monday and as usual he has a great big bald patch where the injection went in. I hate putting him through this. Do other rabbits have the same reaction?

What make of vaccine was given ?
CYLAP or LAPINJECT ?

Adverse reaction are much more likely to occur with CYLAP.

Did the Vet use a new needle to administer the vaccine from the one used to draw it up? This can help reduce the risk of a local skin reaction, as can massaging the site of vaccination for a few minutes after administering it.

If the reaction is severe I would request that you Vet prescribes a non steroidal anti-inflammatory for a few days.

Yes it was Cylap. I'm sure he used a new needle but we didn't massage afterwards - I'll have to remember that for next time.

How would you describe 'severe'?

Pepper had a severe reaction as all her fur around the area fell out and the skin broke and bled, scabbed and took months to heal. That's why she doesn't get it.

Dylans area feels firm and the fur has fallen out but the skin hasn't broken. It's also not immediately visible as the rest of his fur covers it up. I don't see him picking or licking at it so I'm pretty sure it's not bothering him.

I practically begged my vet to use something different to Cylap so that Pepper could try it too. But I had no luck.

Dylan's back is looking red now, think it'll be another trip to the vets for us tomorrow.

I practically begged my vet to use something different to Cylap so that Pepper could try it too. But I had no luck.

Dylan's back is looking red now, think it'll be another trip to the vets for us tomorrow.

I guess I shouldn't make assumptions, but it sounds to me like your vet's um, well, not very good...

Any chance you could shop around for a better one? :)

Apart from the VHD issue the vet has been brilliant as Pepper has had a few illnesses over the last couple of years and they have been great with her. There is one other vet in the area and I'm going to contact them to ask what they use and if they'd consider using anything other than Cylap.

Meanwhile, I've managed to find a tube of Fuciderm to use on Dylan to stay on the safe side tonight.

Back