• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo is having a rough time.... having his insizers out today :(

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
Hi all

Please can you send lots of vibes for gizmo. :cry: He went in today for a dental.... and the vet phoned me while he was on the table to say his molars are nearly pushing through his jaw bone :cry::cry: and that there was inpaction [don't understand this] and he was biting all wrong and although she can't fix the damage there already she can better a very bad situation.... and remover his insizers :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Apparently he will adjust but it will take a while i am going to need to help him with grooming and grating his food etc..

I am so sad. I don't know what i am doing wrong. My bunnies have the best of everything they are my babies yet still gizmo is in this bad way.

Awwww....Hang on in there!! Your vet wouldnt have suggested she do this if she didnt have good reason me thinks.
Lots of vibes going bunnies way!! and a hug for you too, I think!!xxxx

thanks :( i know it is in his best interest but i just can't stop feeling sick and feel guilty.... I hate the thought of my little man in pain. He isn't even 2 yet and he has already been through so much.

The one thing the vet said that made me feel better was that it was obvious i think the world of my bunnies as i am not insured [stupid i know] ..... yet when she said about a 2nd procedure + xray i said do whats nessecary for him.... not how much will it cost :shock: I don't care about the cost he is worth every penny :love: just want him home with me. If they say he is having to stay in tonight i am taking him his favorite teddy and blanket I have to see him at least :cry:

Sending good vibes for your little bun. I'm sure he will be fine with all the love he has around him he will make a very swift recovery. My bun wasn't insured when he had statis and needed an operation to unblock his gut. It cost me £500 but he too is worth every penny. People just don't understand how much bunnies are loved as I told the vet to do what ever he could. My bun made a full recovery after some TLC :love: Keep us all updated with Gizmo's progress.

gizmo is home

thanks for your kind words :love: Gizmo is home he is very groggy but at least he was aloud home. My vet has given him plenty of pain relief etc and mixed some baby food with critical care to syringe feed him and he took it.
Now he is home he has ate a grape on his own and even is trying to eat hay and seems confused why he can't :cry: he keeps making these weird knocking noises which i am assuming is him knocking his back teeth :cry: I have to still give him critical care later but am just letting him settle in at the minute i am going to give him cuddles in a bit [he likes cuddles] and try to clean some of the blood on his white fluffy chest off [vet told me to do this to stop it matting] just not touch his mouth. He has pain relief to keep him going for the next few days and anti biotics via injection [to avoid upsetting his mouth]. Not looking forward to injecting him as i have never done it before but i am glad i haven't got to try and force it in his mouth.
The vet said his mouth is in a bad way his insizers didn't come out very easily and he has had stiches. but she got them out whole. :) She said his molars are still pressing on his jaw bone but by doing what she has done this will hopefully stop them pushing through :shock: He has been through alot but hopefully with TLC and lots of vibes he will be ok.... i will update again tomorrow. Thanks again :love::love:

Amazing Gizmo!!

:)Well i am amazed!!! :shock: Gizmo was starting to come round more last night so gave him 10mls of critical care as instructed by the vet... he took it really well. Then when i put him back in his hutch he started trying to eat hay himself :love: We decided to break up some hay small and he started licking it up :) We also gave him soggy pellets and he has ate the lot over night. he had a peice of apple, brocoli, grape, and strawberry [small bits of each grated up] ... again he ate the lot and he is drinking loads too :love: I did have to deal with lots of soft poos today but the vet said to expect that for a while because he can't eat them until his mouth settles.
I phoned the vet today and she was gob smacked that he is eatting himself already!!! she is that happy with his progress that she has changed his appointment saturday to monday [obviously if any problems arise i can take him in whenever]. The only thing i have to keep an eye on as well is the fact that he has lots of clear liquid coming from his nose but she said he is on antibiotics so is covered and she thinks it is from where he was incubated, but if it becomes troublesome to take him back . I am so greatful for all your get well vibes.... and so is gizmo. He is so brave hopefully he continues with the speedy recovery :love::love::love:

Brave little Gizmo, you'll be back to normal in no time, my buns are sending you extra large good vibes for a speedy recovery and for being a very good patient :wave:

:wave:thank you. He is a bit quiet again now but i suppose the drugs are still getting out of his system so i will give him another lot of pain relief in a minute. See if that perks him up. He went over to my table leg just now which he used to chew [joys of being a bunny mummy lol] and tried to chew it.... i cringed thinking he was going to cry out in pain but instead he seemed to be enjoying the feeling on his new gummy mouth..... and my table leg was none the worse :) Going to give him a brush in a minute. gently of course and i think i will leave cleaning the blood and muck off his chest for a few days yet i am so afraid of hurting him. Any ideas how i could get some of it off him without hurting him??? would i be better just cutting it out?? :roll:

:wave: Nose rubs to poorly Gizmo:(

In reply to your other post yes I would definitely cut the mucky fur away or it could cause an infection or attract any flies. And it cant feel nice for him anyway:(

I'm off to read the rest of his story as I have completely missed it.

:shock: What an amazing bun and bunny mummy:love:

Don't feel guilty:no: You have done everything you can for him:D

thanks for the advice. :) He won't get any flies though as he is in the house till he is all better :love: And then he is in a summer house with yoshi as a neighbour :love: I think i will try cutting it away tomorrow. Don't want to do anything today as he is eatting and drinking nicely and i don't want to risk hurting him / upsetting him and setting him back on his recovery.
If i can't cut it away i will get the vet to do it monday morning when he goes for a check up. :roll: I am so nervous just giving him his pain relief etc so i dread to think what i will be like trying to do that but i will keep you all informed. :wave:

Hi,

Firstly, I'm glad Gizmo is doing so well so quickly!

I just wanted to say that my first rabbit had his incisors removed... His teeth used to continually grow so we had to take him to the vets to have them clipped every 3 or so months, but after a while he started needing to go more often, so for his sake, and my mums purse (I was young!) the vet suggested taking them out.

After he was healed, he ate all his food with no problems, all that changed was that i had to grate his vegetables, so don't worry! Once he adjusts, which he seems to be doing, he'll be fine!

xxx

well just an update.

Last night gizmo gave us a scare. Yoshi was in having his play time and gizmo was in hutch trying to snooze but couldn't get comfortable. :( so we give him the last of his pain relief and just kept an eye on him.... as the evening progressed and yoshi was up on my lap sleeping :) gizmo began to sneeze... then again and again and again and so on.... i quickly put yoshi on the sofa and went over to gizmo opened his hutch and cuddled him and gently wiped his nose of the clear dicharge he had..... but still he kept sneezing.... and as you can imagine he was struggling with his breathing. We phoned the emergency vet who told us it could be due to the inflamation in his mouth / nose making him sneeze or a problem with the hole where the tooth came out .... and if he didn't settle he would have to go in :(:(
So we got some valarian compound and let him smell that ..... and it worked!! the sneezing stopped his breathing began to settle and he finally went off to sleep :love::love::love: I stayed up with him until i was happy he was proper settled.

Then this morning came down and although there were alot of soft poos around gizmo was still sleepy and even managed to eat dry pellets him self . So things are still continuing in the right direction.

Back