• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay stitches

Hessen

Banned
Didn't want to hijack the similar thread with a slightly different question.

We were told that Rum didn't have any stitches because they had to use glue instead (complications during surgery)

We've not really checked on her wound much, been worried about picking her up and she doesn't like to be touched anyway, but picked her up for a nail trim last night and noticed a dangling blue thread - OH thought it was just something stuck to the fur and gave it a tug but it was definitely attached! (poor Rum was not best pleased)

Are they disolvable stitches that don't need to be removed? Should I trim the thread? Should I be worried that if there are stitches that Rum is picking them off? Is my bunny growing blue fur?

I don't know very much about this - but with Faith they had internal stitches and then other ones on the outside. The internal ones dissolved and the external ones were supposed to be removed (although Faith removed them herself!!).

Is it possible with your bunny that they have dissolvable ones internally and then glue to close the wound?

Might be worth phoning your vet just to check that...

I think I would call the vet and find out what they suggest. Tell them you were told there were no stitches and unless your rabbit is turning blue, that's not true! They are probably the dissolvable ones, but I would have thought if it is hanging out it needs a trim, as she can snag it, or husbun can pull it :no:

I had to take Bella back to the vets she had been messing with her wound and the nurse just snipped the thread off, but I guess if she's not had stitches then what it is...or did they do ant internal sitches for something...sorry not much use there??

:evil: :censored: :evil:

Just phoned vets.

They did give her external stitches, because of the bleeding (nice to be :censored: told) and no follow up appointment to have them removed was booked in so if we hadn't been checking she would have carried on wandering about with :censored: blue string hanging out of her.

Managed to get her in today at 5:30 for them to look at her.

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

:evil: :censored: :evil:

Just phoned vets.

They did give her external stitches, because of the bleeding (nice to be :censored: told) and no follow up appointment to have them removed was booked in so if we hadn't been checking she would have carried on wandering about with :censored: blue string hanging out of her.

Managed to get her in today at 5:30 for them to look at her.

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

That really is appalling. I would ensure that you don't pay anything for the return visit at 5.30, because of the risk they put her at. Throw your rattle! :censored::evil:

Poor bunny - just as well you checked her! They should have warned you - that's shocking!

They did give her external stitches, because of the bleeding (nice to be :censored: told) and no follow up appointment to have them removed was booked in

no follow up??:? I would have thought they would want to give her a post op check up just to check no problems with the wound.:?

Good luck finding a better vet and hope your wee bunny is okay. I know when Faith had been at her stitches I found it really stressful.

PS - I love the picture you have at the bottom of your posts - they are sooo cute!!!

That really is ridiculous. :censored: I agree with Biscuit's Mum, you should refuse to pay as there is no way that should have been left untreated. :(

Back