• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

intradermal stitches

CDW

Warren Scout
Hi

Does anyone know with neutering if getting intradermal stitches would be significantly more expensive than just getting normal stitches? And is it just as safe - no risk of the wound getting opened by bunny licking at it?

I've had one of my buns spayed in January and it was really stressful - she pulled all her stitches out and she needed a buster collar on - it was awful. Hoping to avoid that when we get the other one done!

Thanks

Hi
As long as the vet is confident in the technique etc then it shouldnt cost any more. Have you discussed it with your vet?

When I was taking the first rabbit (Faith) in for her final check and I said I wasn't sure I could go through the stress of it all again she mentioned intradermal stitches. I phoned again earlier today and I spoke to a vet nurse - she had to go away and ask someone else and she said yes they could do it but couldn't give me an indication of cost or anything.

I'm happy to pay a bit more as long as it's safe? When Faith was done, the vet had done internal stitches, plus ones on the outside but over the ten days she managed to get the external stitches all out but luckily by that time the wound had healed up.

I'm hoping to get Ebony done in the next two weeks so will phone again next week and try to speak to a vet and get more info.

Thanks!

I think they are doing this more and more as bunnies tend to poke about at their stitches.You still have to watch they dont overlick the wound though.I had the same problem when Daisy got spayed-nightmare!!

I am lucky that my vet does this as standard for rabbits. I have not had any problems and the stitches are buried so they can't pull them out :) The price I pay for ops does not seem to be much different to other vets either.

If they do overlick the wound would they still need a buster collar on? I hated having to do that - Faith managed to cope with it quite well in the end but I felt so bad putting it on her.

Thanks everybody for your responses.

if your vet knows the issues you had last time, i should think they'd be happy to do intradermal this time, if it does cost any more it wont be much.

If the does lick the wound after, for any reason, a baby t-shirt or vest might work better than a collar. she'll be less bothered compared to a collar, but it wont stick to the wound etc.

It shouldn't alter the cost as the type/amount of suture material shouldn't vary and it really doesn't take much longer. Most vets do this as standard for any bunny surgery as the loose ends of normal skin sutures often lead them to chew and wounds and open them up.
Marie

Back