• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chewing when not eating

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Squidgy hasn't quite been himself for the past couple of days. He is moulting, so we've been checking input and output, and giving pineapple and a little recovery food/probiotic.
This evening, he's started making chewing motions even though he's not eating anything. He has had greens, brocoli and carrot this morning, and has eaten some pellets this evening.
Any ideas as to what the problem with the chewing may be? Is it pain in his mouth, something stuck in his teeth? How can we check?

teeth grinding is a sign of pain, i'm sure someone with more expirence will be along shortly but I imagine a vist to the vet will be the advice. Best of luck x

Thanks. It's not grinding, it's like he's chewing something, although we know he isn't eating anything.
Squidgy has lived inside with us for the last 8 years, so we're quite finely attuned to his habits and different sounds! This is a new one though :?
It will be a trip to the vet if it doesn't stop.

Hi,

Chewing without anything in the mouth was a classic molar spur sign in my bunnies - can also look like they are chewing gum too. Other signs that accompany this can include getting food selective, picking up food -wanting to eat it, then dropping it - usually progresses on to eventually not being able to eat anything, but some buns do eat quite well despite of spurs, so, its maybe a good thing to get your bun checked out if you are seeing this and it does not subside. At age 7 or 8, it's quite often a common age for the odd molar spur to develop due to aging but hopefully should be able to be kept under control should this be the case.

Hth and good luck with Squidgy,

Sue

Thanks, we were suspecting that :( but hoping it could be something different. He'll be at the vet tomorrow and we'll get him sorted out. Poor little man.

He has a sore spot on the roof of his mouth, not spur related, so he's got some Daktarin Oral Gel to see if that sorts the problem.
If not, she says his teeth are very uneven on the left hand side, so it could be that, so if he's not eating better by Thursday he'll have to have a dental, although under gas not GA :cry:
He's been managing to eat a lot better today, although he's still not quite back to his usual self.

Thank you for updating us. Poor wee soul, he must have a sore mouth.
Everything crossed the sore on the roof of his mouth clears up quickly, & for his dental.

Thanks. I'm really hoping the sore bit clears up and it's not his teeth, but I have a sneaky suspicion he will need the dental.

My mums bun does this and he had some sharp spurs so had a dental but it still doing it a couple fo weeks later so not sure what the problem is :?
Sending vibes, hope you can get it sorted for him x

sending vibes for your bunny. I hope if he has the dental all will go well and he's back to his normal self.

xxxxx

My mums bun does this and he had some sharp spurs so had a dental but it still doing it a couple fo weeks later so not sure what the problem is :?
Sending vibes, hope you can get it sorted for him x

Don't actually know I'm just guessing. The whole jaw can be misaligned if the spurs stop the teeth meeting properly. After a dental it feels different too. Could the chewing be trying to get the jaw & teeth to feel normal & relaxed?

Back