Thread: Age of P@H bunnies?

Warren Scout

Default Age of P@H bunnies?

I'm trying to work out how old a bunny is that I adopted yesterday to work out when she should be spayed... this thread is purely for that & not to discuss/debate on the ages of rabbits sold in petshops please

Ok that bit over.. yesterday I brought home a rabbit that her previous owner told me is 4 months old.
    She bought her from P@H on 14 November & said when she visited on 13 Nov (the day this new store opened) they only had bucks.. but when she went back the next day they had does in stock so she bought one.

Now I assume from this that the rabbit I've adopted was very young (maybe 6/8 weeks?) depnding on what age they're usually sold from?
    So if I assume she was 8 weeks old this would make her birthday around 19 September.. meaning she's 4 1/2 months old?

Just wondered if anyone could confirm this?

She seems big for her age but I think she's a dwarf lop - in actual body size she's nearly as long as Phillip, but not anywhere near as heavy (he weighs 2kg), I think she is too thin though.
    She doesn't appear to have any 'hormonal' issues yet.. but as she's so shy & nervy it's hard to tell.

Pets at home normally tell you the rabbits are 8/10 weeks when you buy them. However in my local store the majority look too big to be that young. One of my buns Bracken is a baby dwarf lop (not from p@h) she was born in July and is still very small. When I bough Willow (another dwarf lop) from p@h several years ago she was practically twice the size of Bracken!
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Mama Doe

Are's are normally 10weeks+ that they sell after talking to someone that works there

Warren Scout

So she's probably about 5 months, maybe even 6, she should be old enough.

I'll talk to my vet when she goes in for her vaccs & see if he thinks she's ready to be spayed; she might need to put on a bit more weight 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel89 View Post
    Are's are normally 10weeks+ that they sell after talking to someone that works there
    Yep. When I was looking into getting bunnies they told me theirs went at 11 weeks. Didn't get them there though.

see if it as me, just saying, if i got a doe i would keep for at least 3 months before spaying, i know p@h are suppose to take them from 8 weeks, i feel you can never be too sure, though i suppose obvious hormal traits would show too

just see what the vet says

bucks easier watch for the plumbs
    Bunny mom to Biggles,Carrie,Frosty,Doc Will Turner,Miss Elizebeth Swan,
    Formerly Simon, Toffee & Humbug, bill & ben, Lilly,Honey & her kits Poohead aka Pigpen,Pickle Dijon,Marmite,Lady Jane and Teddy and loverly fwuffy Jimboooo
    rainbow bridge lil teddy linus fluff bum,sweet lil Rosie, lil Mustard
    Bunnies are not food or childrens toys they are freinds for life

THINKING OF YOU CAT, REST IN PEACE

I've seen rabbits under 8 weeks old at our local store.
    Elmo and Cookie the Thrianta brothers ♥
    Princess the Lionlop

Quote Originally Posted by AilsaDS View Post
    So she's probably about 5 months, maybe even 6, she should be old enough.

I'll talk to my vet when she goes in for her vaccs & see if he thinks she's ready to be spayed; she might need to put on a bit more weight 1st
    She looks about 6 months + to be mel From the pics you posted. Your vet will be able to tell you like you said. x

Wise Old Thumper

I know this has already been cleared up ... but when I got Archie I got told he was roughly eight weeks?

Ooooh! Does this mean you're going to have a threesome?! Lucky Philip!
    My blog, Howard's House

Wedding pictures!

My signature might stay as the above for the whole year...afterall...look at those faces...aren't they rather gorgeous? I think so! I might be a little eager with the ChirsMoose spirit...or perhaps just a little lazy in not bothering to change my signature pic. The choice is yours!