Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self injecting penicillin

Forum Buddy

Harley's on lifelong Depocillin jabs, I was also nervous about doing them as I'm needle phobic but strangely enough I don't mind now.

She hates it though and its getting harder to catch her on jab day
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I have to give my Poor Lionel so many injections its unreal, he has been on them for ages now and many times before. He also knows what is going to happen and struggles like mad now Lionel has been on depocilin for several months now and he has had a few course of several months previously, his dose is every other day and we won't be stopping it. He hasn't stopped eating or anything with them.
    Human slave to Lolly, Teddy, Joseph, Izzy, Oscar, Liam and Niamh the buns and Fifi and Lila the cats

Forever in our hearts those that have passed to the bridge, Jazz (16.03.09), Gwen (14.11.09), mummies bravest boy Lionel (29.03.10) Dexter (10.04.10) Maddie (23.06.10) Fletcher (03.07.10) and Robbie hammie (07.08.10)

First injection tomorrow...I'm dreading it!

Also...do any pet shops sell probiotic?

Thanks for your replies guys The support and knowledge that others are in the same boat really helps

Warren Veteran

kibbles vet gave me prefilled syringes with needles intact and capped.

which bun has thicker skin...a medium bun...a little bun...or a huge bun?

gem hun i will be begging for some tips if he gets antbx jabs!

usually get probiotics online..or buy a tube of fibreplex online or from vet

the allen and page natural pellets also has protexin probiotics in it.
    Debbie

Wise Old Thumper

Can't say about the size of a bun. Bucks have thicker skin than does at the back of the neck & a strip down the back, as a sex characteristic. -yep just where we want to inject.
    For AB's ready drawn up, always check the needle isn't blocked before injecting!
    Best to inject at room temp oreven slightly warmer, but never warm to touch.
    It's good to get a few spare needles too, in case you bend one.
    Wishing you every success.
    Now over to the expert.Gem.

Just to add my own injection experience, I was trying to give Eddison Baytril orally after he had a fight with Milo that drew blood. He hated every moment of it, would spit it out, and I swear he would glare at me.

When I went to my own vet the next day, she suggested I try injections. What a difference! It was really quick, instead of the 15 minute wrestling matches with the oral syringe. He was much much less stressed, and so was I. I felt more confident about it toward the end too.

Good luck with your injections!

Warren Veteran

my word..never knew that about the skin

really...it was less stressful? i think its me i tense up and panic...and so did kibbles....plus i dont thibk i angled the needle quite right....i copied the scruffing or tenting the scruff to inject..and laid it as horizontal as poss...but maybe it wasnt enough.

when jo jabbed bertie she bent two needles..came back next day with sharper one. i think looking back now...thats what gave him the haematoma he had
    she used to get stock of vaccs for her buns she showed.....

i hate inflicting anything on my pets..or my kids when they were small......its called..im a coward!!

well monday i am taking bertie to see ellen....im going to suggest maybe she collaborate with claire at gems vets and see what we can do.

i wish you well with the injections..ill be thinking of you
    Debbie

Forum Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    Now over to the expert.Gem.

I usually use the Blue or Green gauge needles, have loads of each, some days I prefer green other days I prefer blue

Quote Originally Posted by Purplebumble
    gem hun i will be begging for some tips if he gets antbx jabs!
    I'll come over if you want

Quote Originally Posted by Purplebumble
    well monday i am taking bertie to see ellen....im going to suggest maybe she collaborate with claire at gems vets and see what we can do.
    Let me know if you do come our way, I'll come with you if you want

Harley definitely knows what's coming now and bolts under the bed because she knows I can't get to her

Anyway, I usually use P@H's probiotic....well technically it's VetArk's http://www.petsathome.com/shop/proc-...y-vetark-15796

Never had any issues....straight into their food
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry I lost this thread. How are you getting on Veronica?