Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: do you ever feel youve made a mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by donnamt View Post
    nope i was scared to tell Lou id let pearl get ill. im scared im not doing the right thing and they wont let me adopt another one. the rescues love thier bunnies so much and i know given the choice they'd not rehome so its such an honour to adopt.. but for one especially as rare and precious as Pearl to get ill, never to recover i also feel like ive failed the rescue who put thier trust in me
    Please don't think that, Pearls condition has nothing to do with how you have cared for her, she is a lucky girlie to have you caring sooo much about her

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by donnamt View Post
    opening your heart to rabbits... i feel like im in a constant state of stomach churning.. every move alvin makes my stomach knots up wondering if its the start of stasis. hes eaten his veg and all pellets ive given but because ive been at work all day i havent seen him eating hay so im so sure hes starting with stasis again. i just watched him eat them special poops but he was making a crunching noise so im sitting there thinking is that teeth grinding then he bent himself in half to lick his privates and i panic theres some pain there too.... i dunno whats up with me... and you all know how im getting on with pearl.
    Always. I look back on my life before I got them and I remember how I had absolutely no worries at all, I could relax so easily, whereas now I am always thinking about them and how they might get ill....I hate going out to work in the morning cos it means leaving them, and I hate coming home cos I'm scared of what I might find...if Apache is sitting up i'm convinced he;s sitting awkwardly cos he's in pain, but if he's lying down I'm convinced he's dead/dying. Been proper fretting about Sorrel recently too, at the time I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm sure it was all wrong I was ok when I first got rabbits but losing four made me realise how fragile they are.

If I'm honest I wouldn't undo getting rabbits. I didn't have the worry back then but I didn't have the love either and had no incentive to get up in the morning. It is so hard though

Pearl's illness isn't your fault though, you must realise that...there's nothing a human could do to give a rabbit an enlarged heart. If anything, Lou would be relieved that Pearl went to you rather than to someone else who wouldn't have given her such a high standard of nursing.

Sleep tight Apache, everyone who met you was happier for it.

I started feeling this way the last year of Yuki's life. His dental problems were getting worse, and I was constantly worrying about him, so much so that I couldn't really enjoy him anymore. In May, he had a head tilt, but when it went away, my anxiety disappeared too. But in October, it returned ten fold because I almost lost him. His teeth were worse than ever, and he had a bacteria infection, and I had to start giving him injections which I hated doing, especially when he flinched because it hurt him. And this last time when he was sick and I lost him, I vowed never to get a rabbit again. I promised myself that after my first bunny died as well, but this time I know I'll hold true to that promise. Even though I love bunnies and they are my favourite animals, I can't go through this again. Not only that, but I know I will never have that special bond with any other bunny, or pet in general, that I had with Yuki. Bunnies are sweet, loyal, adorable pets, but it hurts too much to love them. I'm just happy to know there are stronger people than me out there who can handle all the stress it takes having a bunny, and are willing to keep adopting them because there are so many bunnies out there in need of being rescued and put in good homes.