• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lop Rabbits: Earwax advice please

lostunicorn

Alpha Buck
Evening All,

Took Peach and Daisy to the vets yesterday as I had noticed some ear wax in both of their ears. After looking at them (ears, eyes, feeling guts and listening to guts) the vet said she doesn't suspect an infection as there is no inflamation, also that it is unlikely to be mites as they have just finished a 6 week course of parasite treatment. She has given me CleanAural for dogs and told me to clean their ears twice a week for 2 weeks and then once a week after that until it clears that.

This brings me to the reason for my post, as I have a couple of questions:

1. Is CleanAural safe, has anyone had bunnies that have reacted badly to it?

2. The vet mentioned that using ear cleaner can be dangerous if the ear drums are perforated. She said that she cannot see their ear drums but that IHO it seems very unlikely that they would be as there is not inflamation/signs of infection. She also said a large built up of wax can cause ear drums to perforate. Would this have been the standard reply of a vet?

3. I have been told to push the pipette inside the ear and squeeze in the CleanAural. Them ypou sqeeze the base of the ear to release the wax and finally clean the ears out with cotton wool on my finger. How deep is too deep and am I going to damage their ears? How far should the pippette go in? I have always thought that the one thing you NEVER do with rabbits is put anything in their ears so am very worried about this.

4. Help!!!

Thank you x

Last edited:
ETA Still haven't started treatment as went to get surgical spirit today and it said not for internal use, and I panicked and worried that even just wiping the ear pipette with it might hurt Peach and Daisy's ear.

If anyone has any experience of this I could really do with some advice.

Thank You

I wouldn't use surgical spirit in the ear :shock:

It might be a good idea to get the vet or one of the experienced nurses to show you how to apply the drops, then you can practise in front of them to make sure you're doing it right xx

Hi, one of my buns (May, frenchy cross) has an infected ear, our vets have prescribed CleanAural for cats as gentler than the dog version.

How I do it is hold the ear upright, then put the pippette end into the ear just far enough (about halfway for May) and squeeze, because the ear is upright the drops should filter down the ear canal. I was using cotton wool but found that fragrance free baby wipes wrapped round my little finger is working better.

Hope that helps?

I'm about to post an update on her post in Health, she's not doing too well but it's not connected to the CleanAural, she's an older girl and doesn't like being messed around with

Hi, one of my buns (May, frenchy cross) has an infected ear, our vets have prescribed CleanAural for cats as gentler than the dog version.

How I do it is hold the ear upright, then put the pippette end into the ear just far enough (about halfway for May) and squeeze, because the ear is upright the drops should filter down the ear canal. I was using cotton wool but found that fragrance free baby wipes wrapped round my little finger is working better.

Hope that helps?

I'm about to post an update on her post in Health, she's not doing too well but it's not connected to the CleanAural, she's an older girl and doesn't like being messed around with

*hugs* sorry to hear about your girly, thanks for the advice...just gone to check and I've definately been given the one for dogs:?:?:?

*hugs* sorry to hear about your girly, thanks for the advice...just gone to check and I've definately been given the one for dogs:?:?:?

Aww thanks. Might be worth asking the vets on Monday. It must be ok otherwise they wouldn't have prescribed it, think May had the gentler one because her ear was inflamed, best check with vets though.

Hope Peach and Daisy are better soon x

Back