Thread: Lop Rabbits: Earwax advice please

Default Lop Rabbits: Earwax advice please

Evening All,

Took Peach and Daisy to the vets yesterday as I had noticed some ear wax in both of their ears. After looking at them (ears, eyes, feeling guts and listening to guts) the vet said she doesn't suspect an infection as there is no inflamation, also that it is unlikely to be mites as they have just finished a 6 week course of parasite treatment. She has given me CleanAural for dogs and told me to clean their ears twice a week for 2 weeks and then once a week after that until it clears that.

This brings me to the reason for my post, as I have a couple of questions:

1. Is CleanAural safe, has anyone had bunnies that have reacted badly to it?

2. The vet mentioned that using ear cleaner can be dangerous if the ear drums are perforated. She said that she cannot see their ear drums but that IHO it seems very unlikely that they would be as there is not inflamation/signs of infection. She also said a large built up of wax can cause ear drums to perforate. Would this have been the standard reply of a vet?

3. I have been told to push the pipette inside the ear and squeeze in the CleanAural. Them ypou sqeeze the base of the ear to release the wax and finally clean the ears out with cotton wool on my finger. How deep is too deep and am I going to damage their ears? How far should the pippette go in? I have always thought that the one thing you NEVER do with rabbits is put anything in their ears so am very worried about this.

4. Help!!!

Thank you x
    Last edited by lostunicorn; 03-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Princess Daisy Bunny Mad's Magazine Cutest Bunny 2009

I saw the in New Year on RU 2009

ETA Still haven't started treatment as went to get surgical spirit today and it said not for internal use, and I panicked and worried that even just wiping the ear pipette with it might hurt Peach and Daisy's ear.

If anyone has any experience of this I could really do with some advice.

Thank You

I wouldn't use surgical spirit in the ear

It might be a good idea to get the vet or one of the experienced nurses to show you how to apply the drops, then you can practise in front of them to make sure you're doing it right xx

Hi, one of my buns (May, frenchy cross) has an infected ear, our vets have prescribed CleanAural for cats as gentler than the dog version.

How I do it is hold the ear upright, then put the pippette end into the ear just far enough (about halfway for May) and squeeze, because the ear is upright the drops should filter down the ear canal. I was using cotton wool but found that fragrance free baby wipes wrapped round my little finger is working better.

Hope that helps?

I'm about to post an update on her post in Health, she's not doing too well but it's not connected to the CleanAural, she's an older girl and doesn't like being messed around with

Quote Originally Posted by lilbun View Post
    I wouldn't use surgical spirit in the ear
    The surgical spirit is to clean the pipette so as not to prevent spreading anything between Peach and Daisy if indeed they do have an infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykat View Post
    Hi, one of my buns (May, frenchy cross) has an infected ear, our vets have prescribed CleanAural for cats as gentler than the dog version.

How I do it is hold the ear upright, then put the pippette end into the ear just far enough (about halfway for May) and squeeze, because the ear is upright the drops should filter down the ear canal. I was using cotton wool but found that fragrance free baby wipes wrapped round my little finger is working better.

Hope that helps?

I'm about to post an update on her post in Health, she's not doing too well but it's not connected to the CleanAural, she's an older girl and doesn't like being messed around with
    *hugs* sorry to hear about your girly, thanks for the advice...just gone to check and I've definately been given the one for dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by lostunicorn View Post
    *hugs* sorry to hear about your girly, thanks for the advice...just gone to check and I've definately been given the one for dogs?
    Aww thanks. Might be worth asking the vets on Monday. It must be ok otherwise they wouldn't have prescribed it, think May had the gentler one because her ear was inflamed, best check with vets though.

Hope Peach and Daisy are better soon x