• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming?

Sagemacd

Young Bun
Hi all

I took My 18 week old Mini Lop Charlie to the vets to get his VHD jag on Monday. The vet asked me if he had been wormed. I told him no as I didnt know he needed to be. I bought the worming paste to take home. It is to be given once a day for 9 days. I was wondering if this is really necessary? He isnt in contact with any other rabbits and is kept inside. Obviously if it is needed i will do it, but i really dont want to stress him out for 9 days and then him hate me for doing this if its not needed. He has had no health problems so far. Loves his food and gets plenty of exercise and seems a vey happy bunny who binkies every day.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sage

Hi :wave: - yes you should worm your rabbit up to 4 times a year. It's got nothing to do with coming into contact with other rabbits or being indoors/outdoors, but bunnies carry pin worms which can get out of control in certain situations.

It also helps to fight EC - a parasitic condition - which can be very serious.

I don't routinely worm my bunnies, but I have done a 28day preventative course to protect against EC. I would re-treat if I introduced a new bun to the enviroment tho.

It is no longer recommended to Panacur a rabbit routinely 4 times a year as it once was.

Now it is recommended, for the control/prevention of EC, to worm once for 28 days, paying particular attention to cleaning on days 21 and 28. You would do this to a new rabbit, to all your rabbits and the new one if you acquire a new rabbit and to all your rabbits if they go holiday boarding and therefore share grazing space/use boarders hutches etc. Other than that you only need to do it if the bun shows signs of active EC.

If a rabbit is suspected of having worms then this would have to be treated.

My rabbits are happy to eat the paste disguised in a tasty treat, a little sandwich made from 2 Lemon Balm, Sage, Basil or a few Coriander leaves - that way there is no man-handling involved.

Back