• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Latest update - Joe kept in overnight really worried.

paulinejoe

Mama Doe
I'm really worried about Joe, yesterday morning i came downstairs to give him his breakfast (he's a house bun) and he was chewing likemad on something and rubbing his paws over his face as if he was washing, i couldnt get him to open his mouth and eventually he stopped the chewing but i gave him a yoghurt drop and he just spat it out then i noticed he'd somehow got on to the top of his house and knocked the dustpan and brush off and there were a big chunk of bristles missing, he's also eaten a massive chunk out of a paets at home bag for life that was also on top of his house with all his straw and bits in, so i took him straight to the vets who said he was abit dribbly but seemed ok so i took him home.

Last night i got in from work and he hadn't touched any of his food at all and again refused his favourite yoghurt drops so rang vets and they said to take him to their animal hospital which i did and they kept him in :cry:

He had a really high temperature and bad gut pain, they said they'd give him painkillers and syringe feed him and give him sime stuff to help ease the bristles/bag for life bits through but that if that didn't work they would need to x-ray him to see if it had caused a blockage in which case he will need an op - they haven't rung me yet and i'm hoping no news is good news but i feel so guilty for leaving the bag and brush in his reach, i just never even thought he would eat it.

Has this happened to anyone elses bun and if so, how did it work out? I just really really hope he is going to be ok and back home again as soon as possible.

Last edited:
please don't blame yourself these things unfortantly happen. What a little devil, I really hope he is ok keep us updated xx

Thanks :) Well the vet said that he's comfortable and seems okay in himself but that he's still not eating although he is accepting the syringe food, he had just that minute had a poop when they rang but they are going to keep him in again tonight because there's only slight stomach sounds and also they want to see him eating and pooping normally before he can come home.

So fingers crossed he may possibly be home tomorrow

Sending you lots of vibes for Joe. I am sure he will be just fine. x:D

My bun kept escaping out of her pen during the day whilst I was at work, and a few times I would come home and half the wallpaper would be missing from the walls!! On another occasion I discovered a huge chunk of carpet that disappeared i am pretty sure she ate that too. She was fine though which was just as well because I dont know how long the chunk of carpet was missing for!!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks again :D I'm pleased to say the vets rung up this morning to say he seems much perkier in himself and has started pulling his drip out all the time which means he is probably feeling better, he's not eating 100% but he's having a go at some fresh food so they are happy to send him home tonight - I am so relieved and delighted to be having him home :love:

They said he'll still need syringe feeding and he'll also have some medicine but he's going to be ok, thank goodness.

The vets have been absolutely brilliant, i'd have no hesitation in recommending them - Calder Vets - both the Wakefield branch and their animal hospital at Dewsbury where he is now are great and Claire at Dewsbury who we saw when he got admitted knows her rabbits inside out, she thought Joe might benefit from a companion so once he's home and fully better, then we will be looking to get him a friend to hopefully keep him occupied and out of further mischief :lol:

Last edited:
That's great news! I'm sure you're looking forward to having him home, and I bet he'll love a friend to cause mischief with:D

What a relief! Buns do like to scare us, don't they?! :roll:

Ginger and pickles had half the bristles off a big broom once, but they didn't cause any problems luckily. Loads of vibes for your little guy!

Well after bringing him home last night, he is back in at the vets again today. We put a little bit of a bunny buffet out for him last night with a selection of all his faves and also marked off the level on his water bottle and by this morning he hadn't touched a thing and also hadn't been to the lo, either pooping or weeing so the vet said to take him back and they've readmitted him :(

He took one syringe of the rabbit recovery food and his metclopramide but that was it. Then he just layed stretched out on the floor and grinding his teeth so i'm sure he was in pain.

I know he's in the best place and being well looked after but i'm still worried about the little fellow, he'd been eating at the vets and pooping so why he stopped again i don't know, maybe it was the stress of moving from the vets to home again?

Whatever it is i really hope he's back to his normal self soon

Well after bringing him home last night, he is back in at the vets again today. We put a little bit of a bunny buffet out for him last night with a selection of all his faves and also marked off the level on his water bottle and by this morning he hadn't touched a thing and also hadn't been to the lo, either pooping or weeing so the vet said to take him back and they've readmitted him :(

He took one syringe of the rabbit recovery food and his metclopramide but that was it. Then he just layed stretched out on the floor and grinding his teeth so i'm sure he was in pain.

I know he's in the best place and being well looked after but i'm still worried about the little fellow, he'd been eating at the vets and pooping so why he stopped again i don't know, maybe it was the stress of moving from the vets to home again?

Whatever it is i really hope he's back to his normal self soon

I am so sorry, hopefully he will be his fighting fit cheeky self again soon. x

The vets called about an hour ago to say he's not eating still so they are anaesthetising him to do an x-ray as they think he may have a complete blockage :( If he does he'll need an operation and apparently survival rates are not good as it's a serious operation in rabbits, i'm so upset, poor Joe, i'm tryig to be optimistic but i've got a bad feeling about it all, i just don't know what to do for the best, i can't bear the thought of losing him but i don't want to put him through a massive operation where he's going to suffer afterwards and then may still die anyway.

has anyone elses bun had GI surgery?

I think surgery is very much a 'last resort' because the chances of survival aren't very high.

Personally I'd throw every possible medication at the problem and see if it helps. I'm thinking of something along the lines of: Sub-cutaneous fluids, antibiotics, zantac, metaclopramide, infacol, metacam and probiotics.

I *think* you might expect the bun to be bloated if there was an obstruction...so keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't that.

Good news! Calire's just called to say that his bowels were clear so while he was under they looked down his throat and discovered a bristle had pierced his soft pallett and his throat was really swollen, she pulled it out, he's woken up and he's already had something to eat :):):)

They're going to keep him in tonight, carry on syringe feeding, encouraging him to eat some more and giving him the stuff to get everything moving again and all being well the little chap can come home tomorrow - and he's going to get absolultely spoilt to bits, i've been in tears the last 2 hours worrying about him and thinking the worst so to say i'm happy is an understatement!

Thanks for everyones good vibes and advice, it's all been very much appreciated :love:

I'm so pleased to learn it's not a GI problem-your baby just had an owie!
Wonderful news! Please continue to update. :D

Back