• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

protexin pro-fibre - how much??

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i am going to change bisc and matt from avipro plus to pro-fibre. how much do i give them each?

also, on the vetuk website, they look pale coloured. and just opened the tub now and they are pellet coloured. is that right?

Personally I no longer use it. Its fibre content is lower than normal rabbit food and it is very expensive for what it is.

I think probiotic powders are much better and economical :)

Personally I no longer use it. Its fibre content is lower than normal rabbit food and it is very expensive for what it is.

I think probiotic powders are much better and economical :)

oh great :roll: just spent loads on it because i thought it would be better. :lol:

they have been on the avipro plus for a long time now and i don't know if that is ok. :?

oh great :roll: just spent loads on it because i thought it would be better. :lol:

they have been on the avipro plus for a long time now and i don't know if that is ok. :?

I'm afraid I agree with Liz on this one. The fibre content of Pro-Fibre is only around 15%. You're much better off with a quality pellet such as SS or Oxbow, both of which have a high fibre content, and then adding avipro or some other pro-biotic to their water.

But in answer to your original question, yes, it does look very much like A&P or Oxbow pellets.

it says

pro-fibre probiotic and prebiotic supplement for rabbits

crude fibre 19%
dietary fibre 46%

i'm confused now. :?

i was told this would be better for bisc and matt as it had more fibre than avipro plus. they used to have the pro-C one, then when they got more ill they switched to avipro plus, but haven't been back to normal health wise since so stayed on it a long time. then it was mentioned it isn't a long term one because of the minerals etc etc etc... and this new one would be better.

what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

eta: they are on oxbow pellets

My two love these.......... I only had one tub and they went made for them each time I opened it. Not sure how much to give them so just gave them a few pellets as a "treat".

My two love these.......... I only had one tub and they went made for them each time I opened it. Not sure how much to give them so just gave them a few pellets as a "treat".

i'm hoping they will like them. bisc can be really fussy! :roll:

they need to be on a probiotic long term really. so i thought this one was ok.

i don't know now!

I used them for my old buns and they only had a very small amount every day - I thought (from memory) they were very high in fibre, but I could be wrong:oops:

They're certainly not going to hurt your bunnies. But don't be fooled by the 'dietry fibre' content of 40-odd percent. It's the crude fibre figure that you need to look at. My memory was letting me down - I thought it was 15% fibre but obviously I got that wrong. As an 'all in one' product, it's fine and will do the job you want it to do so if that's what your vet advises, that's absolutely fine. But IMO it's very expensive for what you get. If your buns are already on Oxbow then they're getting a great pellet which is very high in fibre. I'd just put the Avipro in their water and you could also sprinkle some of the dried powder directly onto their food so that they ingest it that way too. It's what my vet advised me to do years ago.

They're certainly not going to hurt your bunnies. But don't be fooled by the 'dietry fibre' content of 40-odd percent. It's the crude fibre figure that you need to look at. My memory was letting me down - I thought it was 15% fibre but obviously I got that wrong. As an 'all in one' product, it's fine and will do the job you want it to do so if that's what your vet advises, that's absolutely fine. But IMO it's very expensive for what you get. If your buns are already on Oxbow then they're getting a great pellet which is very high in fibre. I'd just put the Avipro in their water and you could also sprinkle some of the dried powder directly onto their food so that they ingest it that way too. It's what my vet advised me to do years ago.

is avipro plus ok long term though, everyday?? do you know how much fibre the avipro plus is?

i'm hoping they will like them. bisc can be really fussy! :roll:

they need to be on a probiotic long term really. so i thought this one was ok.

i don't know now!

:lol: Mine are on Bunny Basics T and they love them, so my guess is that yours wll too.

I was of the same view that maybe a pre/pro biotic each day would help with Homer's dodgy tummy - to be honest not sure if it made much difference so maybe I was not giving enough. The instructions are not the best.

:lol: Mine are on Bunny Basics T and they love them, so my guess is that yours wll too.

I was of the same view that maybe a pre/pro biotic each day would help with Homer's dodgy tummy - to be honest not sure if it made much difference so maybe I was not giving enough. The instructions are not the best.

yeh, my vet says he doesn't use them as he doesn't think they make any difference. :? said it shouldn't do any harm though.

but then i was reading about too many minerals being bad. and the avipro plus shouldn't be used long term and then started to worry as usual. then when the vet said most aren't made for rabbits and have things in them that don't naturally occur in a rabbits gut etc, i worried even more. :roll:

don't know what is best to do now. i thought one that is made for rabbits would be better. :?

oh..... i don't know now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told by my vet to give Mr Bunny a scoop of this stuff per day. (He weighs about 4.5 kg, but I don't know if you should adjust the dosage to the weight of the bunny.:?) He's been on this for ages now. I only give it as a supplement. He still has hay, SS pellets and veggies.:)

I was told by my vet to give Mr Bunny a scoop of this stuff per day. (He weighs about 4.5 kg, but I don't know if you should adjust the dosage to the weight of the bunny.:?) He's been on this for ages now. I only give it as a supplement. He still has hay, SS pellets and veggies.:)

it doesn't say an amount on there. maybe one scoop between both?? :?

I think that will be a good idea. After all, I think that your bunnies are smaller than Mr Bunny.:)

yes, matt is 2.4kg ish and bisc is 1.88kg at the minute.

i suppose they could still turn their noses up at it! :lol: matt won't but bisc might. :roll::lol:

Back