• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible ear infection? - *SHE'S GONE*

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hiya, one of my buns is a black Frenchie X, approx 7 yrs old. First things first is that she's booked into the vets at 5.40 :)

Was groming her yesterday (serious moult) and gave her a kiss on her head for being a good girl, my god, it was such a horrible smell. I checked her over from head to toe and the only thing I could find was a very slight damp patch on the opening of her ear. I cleaned it as best I could, looked down and there is a tiny, tiny bit of discharge deep down, but ear isn't read/crusty or anything. The only thing I could liken the smell to is sour milk crossed with blocked scent glands *yuck*

Any ideas what it is?

She's always been fine, never any probs. Occasionally has to have a hair cut on her tummy and rear as he fur is quite long and she sometimes gets "cling ons" :)

Last edited:
If the smell was definately coming from an ear and not from her mouth then an ear infection is a real possibility. Sometimes a plug of wax hides a load of pus underneath it.

Good luck at the Vets :)

Hi Jane, thanks for your reply.

This is going to sound gross but it's what we've all done ... I sniffed her all over and it was just her right ear. Left was fine, bum fine, no blocked scent glands etc.

I'll post later when I get back, hopefully it will be easy to sort, she's quite amenable although does have a mind of her own!

Oh dear! It does sound like it's her ear. Good for you for booking her in at the vets so soon anyway - I can't stand when people 'wait and see'.

Let us know what they say.

Well back from the vets, left ear is absoultely fine, right ear is full of pus deep down and very smelly :(

She's on 1ml Baytril twice a day and I have to clean the ear daily with Canaural (cat version). If it doesn't get worse then back in a week for a check but sooner if it does.

May was such a good girl, she did lots of "purring" when in the waiting room and didn't struggle when the vet examined her. My god she has mellowed in her old age ! :lol:

Oh, and we're definitely not the "wait and see" type of owner, our vets love us :lol:

Will post an update in a few days, fingers crossed it sort itself out.

Just a question, any ideas on what could have caused it? Maybe a piece of hay? She's not been scratching or shaking her head and the ear isn't pink or hot, it was just the smell that I noticed?

I was thinking it was probably a foreign body of some kind - a piece of hay or even a woodshaving. What a brave bunny she is. Sending lots of 'ear healing' vibes! :)

I'm quite concerned about May, she's not herself. She left her pellets last ngiht which is not like her at all. She's lying down looking very down, when I open crate to give her a treat she's stomping and hopping off because she thinks I'm going give her meds, I've been careful to give her a yummy treat afterwards but obviously it's not worked. I decided not to upset her this morning and gave the morning Baytril a miss but when I cleaned her ear earlier and gave her the evening Baytril (she's on 1ml twice daily) she didn't resist. The ear looks better, lots of gunk has come out after the CleanAural and I've been babywiping her head/ear to get rid of the gunk that's drained out, but it's still smelling although not as bad. She's back at the vets on Monday for a check up but I'm worried they might want to keep her in to have a proper look.

Her poops are very small, dark and hard but from experience with the other buns this happens with Baytril, so I've added probiotic to her water. She loves banana so I've mushed some up in a bowl, popped some infacol with it and a couple of drops of Metacam in case she's in a bit of pain with it.

Is there anything else I can do?

I wondered if she could be in pain and was going to suggest metacam. I note you have given her two drops. Not sure what drops are in measurements. Doesn't sound very much as shes a french lop

I agree that she probably has ear pain.
Two drops of Metacam is not a therapeutic dose for a large Rabbit and wont do much at all to relieve the pain.

:oops: Didn't mean a couple as in 2, it was actually 7 drops :oops:

Would yuou give her more?

(sorry, am knackered and not stopped all day, not typing straight)

:oops: Didn't mean a couple as in 2, it was actually 7 drops :oops:

Would yuou give her more?

(sorry, am knackered and not stopped all day, not typing straight)

I cant tell you to give a larger dose as I am not a Vet :cry:

Can you call your Vet for advice on dosage ?

The maximum dose my Vet prescribes is 0.6mg/kg/24hrs. But as I say, only your Vet can advise you on the dose he/she wants your Bun to have.

May's gone :cry:

Went out to see them this morning and she'd died in her litter tray, she was rigid and cold so must have happened in the night. She was lying down with her front feet over the edge but she looked peaceful.

Just can't believe it, she was a gorgeous bun and full of character.

Binky free at the bridge May May with you husbun Pipsqueak x

Going to put her somewhere cold and take her to be cremated tomorrow.

Back