• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with wet bum

xShellx

Alpha Buck
My flemish giant pepper has matted wet fur all round his back end. I took him to the vets on Thurs for his jab and the vet said hes a little overweight so hes unable to clean himself properly.

I spent ages on thurs brushing out all the matts as best i could and washed and dried his back end. Its only been 3 days and its just as bad as it was. I cant even get a brush through it. Whats the best way to keep his bum clean? Im thinking of using some hair clippers and cuting the worse of the matts out.

My other bunny is also a giant and hes not having any problems.

Also how can I put just 1 rabbit on a diet when he shares his food with another rabbit and guinea pig?

Thanks Shell

With regards to the feeding you will have to seperate the Rabbits when you feed them their pellets.

Is a Guinea Pig living with two Giant Rabbits :shock: Not a good idea IMO as not only are their dietary needs very different there is significant risk of the GP sustaining a fatal injury :cry:

Did the Vet examin the Rabbit with problems ? If he is getting that wet it may be an incontinence problem. Causes of which include a bladder infection, bladder sludge/stones, a protozoal parasitic problem effecting the central nervous system (EC), a spinal problem (common in Giants)...........

Whilst dealing with the wetness is obviously important it is essential a Vet tries to establish why it's happening in the first place. Obesity *might* be the primary issue but did the Vet exclude everything else ?

wet bum

My flemish giant pepper has matted wet fur all round his back end. I took him to the vets on Thurs for his jab and the vet said hes a little overweight so hes unable to clean himself properly.

I spent ages on thurs brushing out all the matts as best i could and washed and dried his back end. Its only been 3 days and its just as bad as it was. I cant even get a brush through it. Whats the best way to keep his bum clean? Im thinking of using some hair clippers and cuting the worse of the matts out.

My other bunny is also a giant and hes not having any problems.

Also how can I put just 1 rabbit on a diet when he shares his food with another rabbit and guinea pig?

Thanks Shell

if the bum is poopy,,and requires a bum washing--then i would agree with your vet/overweight,...but a wet bum could be a whole different subject/-possible,-uriary tract infection/uti/.with the other flemish,,you have a good rule of thumb,,and a means of comparison of the two/keep an eye on water intake,hay consumption,-poops-and keep checking her bum--good job,,.sincerely james waller

Vet didnt say anything else just that hes slightly over weight and to keep an eye on it. Its not dirty just matted and a bit damp. They are in a 13 foot walk in run with concrete base which has been wet in recent weeks. I brush out the run every day. I have brought some clippers today so will cut the mats out.

With regards to the Guinea pig it wasnt a decision I took lightly to put it in with the rabbits. I had 3 together and 1 of them was really skinny and kept getting attacked by the other 2. I tried to keep them together but things got worse and one morning he had his ear riped. I put him in with the rabbits. He has 2 little houses to hide in which the rabbits cant get to and I have placed 2 metal bins in the corner which he can hide behind and rabbits cant. I put his food in his house too. Hes been in there about 6 months now and hes thriving,Hes put eight on and his skin is so much better. The other 2 have stoped fighting too

Back