• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed please!

neenee

Warren Scout
hiya, my vets have been closed all weekend so i havnt been able to take my rabbit to the vets (i will be taking her first thing) so thought id post on here and see if anyone has similer problems. Her belly is really big and hard, i at first thought it might be gas but shes eating like a pig!! Shes never been a greedy bunny but when i go in with food she gobbles it so fast! Despite eating alot she has become quite thin, i can feel her spine. ive been feeding her wheetabix and crusts of bread in hope for her to gain weight. On top of this she has just been spayed and the wound where her stiches were has swollen up. Neela is used to having alot of excercise, she has always had a big run attached to her hutch but the last week its been taken away as its been damaged, i ordered a new run two weeks ago but because of the weather it hasnt been delivered! Ive been taking her out on the harness everyday for a few hours which she loves but its really not enough, the run will be arriving next week. What im saying is maybe her swollen belly is due to not having enough excercise?? Ive babbled on a bit now, hope someone knows what im talking about! :wave:

Please don't feed bread to your bunny! This could be part of the problem.
Feed fibre-hay and green veg, but not gassy ones like brocolli right now.
When my bun has a similar problem to yours, it was a tooth that needed trimming...strange, hey?
I really wish I could be more help, but all I can say for sure is please get your bun to a vet (emerg if you hae one available) right away and stop feeding bread.

It sounds like bloat to me. Is she still moving around? Is she pooing as normal? I would say you need to call the emergency vet. I lost my Frenchie to bloat last year.

hiya, my vets have been closed all weekend so i havnt been able to take my rabbit to the vets (i will be taking her first thing) so thought id post on here and see if anyone has similer problems. Her belly is really big and hard, i at first thought it might be gas but shes eating like a pig!! Shes never been a greedy bunny but when i go in with food she gobbles it so fast! Despite eating alot she has become quite thin, i can feel her spine. ive been feeding her wheetabix and crusts of bread in hope for her to gain weight. On top of this she has just been spayed and the wound where her stiches were has swollen up. Neela is used to having alot of excercise, she has always had a big run attached to her hutch but the last week its been taken away as its been damaged, i ordered a new run two weeks ago but because of the weather it hasnt been delivered! Ive been taking her out on the harness everyday for a few hours which she loves but its really not enough, the run will be arriving next week. What im saying is maybe her swollen belly is due to not having enough excercise?? Ive babbled on a bit now, hope someone knows what im talking about! :wave:

:wave: Hi, sorry she isn't doing well, a couple of things, firstly if she has been spayed it's advisable if possible to have kept her in after the operation. She needs to see a vet as an emergency if her wound is swelling in anyway, you need to make an appointment with a vet to at least check that today, if your own vet is not open find another one, they will understand why and so will your other vet who should offer an emergency surgery particularly for rabbits post op.

I wouldn't have put a harness on her whilst she is in recovery from a spay personally as any stress on the wound may aggravate matters. I also think it's really important to stop feeding her the foods you mentioned, she should really be on a rabbit mix or pellets and vegetables and at the most a small rabbit treat (shop bought) daily could be provided as they are quite calorific. She may need exercise but, she needs to see a vet today urgently. She may need to be indoors aswell to recover if it's infected and therefore you might be able to let her move around more ?

I havnt fed her bread in ages but i have been feeding her wheetabix regularly. Shes moving around fine, whenever i open the hutch door she runs towards me and tries to get out :( Im not sure if shes pooing fine as shes an outdoor rabbit and her hutch is filled to the brim with straw atm but when i took her out she was pooing fine. I dont think she has dental problems as shes is stuffing food down her face like no tommorow :p
Im not sure if i can take her to an emergency vet, im 17 and only earn about £50 a week but if need be i will spend it all on her or borrow money from my mum. Im so worried.

:wave: Hi, sorry she isn't doing well, a couple of things, firstly if she has been spayed it's advisable if possible to have kept her in after the operation. She needs to see a vet as an emergency if her wound is swelling in anyway, you need to make an appointment with a vet to at least check that today, if your own vet is not open find another one, they will understand why and so will your other vet who should offer an emergency surgery particularly for rabbits post op.

I wouldn't have put a harness on her whilst she is in recovery from a spay personally as any stress on the wound may aggravate matters. I also think it's really important to stop feeding her the foods you mentioned, she should really be on a rabbit mix or pellets and vegetables and at the most a small rabbit treat (shop bought) daily could be provided as they are quite calorific. She may need exercise but, she needs to see a vet today urgently. She may need to be indoors aswell to recover if it's infected and therefore you might be able to let her move around more ?

she was inside for about three days on blankets but i didnt want to keep her in any longer incase she got used to the weather, i put her on wood shavings when she went outside which ive now read can infect the wound so i think it might be this :/ feel like such a bad bunny mummy at the moment!

How long ago was she spayed, sounds fairly recently, I have outdoor buns and when she was spayed she was kept indoors where it was warm for a few days, it's important to restrict excersise due to the possibility of re-opening the wound also she may pick up infections/bacteria from outdoors if you are taking her out which may be the reason her wound is swollen, is there any pus, has the wound re-opened? it's important to check the wound x 2 a day until completely healed.
I'd give her plenty of hay and non gassy veg for the time being, cut out the other things you are giving her, is she eating/drinking? pooing? again you need to check...
Don't be quick to think of no dental worries because buns can hide their pain but it is wise to have them checked with the vet in anycase, I also agree she needs to see the emergency vet as a precautionary matter if nothing else and seeing that you are worried you then know something is not right with your bunny...keep us updated:D

she was inside for about three days on blankets but i didnt want to keep her in any longer incase she got used to the weather, i put her on wood shavings when she went outside which ive now read can infect the wound so i think it might be this :/ feel like such a bad bunny mummy at the moment!

:no: Don't feel like a bad bunny mummy, I certainly haven't tried to make you feel that way, you just need to ensure that she is OK and on a forum it's very difficult to advise someone about a wound from a spay without seeing it. Vets tell you if the wound swells, becomes inflamed and angry and really hot to get it checked. I see your predicament but, animals are expensive if they are unwell thats why it's a really careful consideration before taking one on, it's not your fault necessarily and it may be over dramatising on my part but, I can't advise you anything else as that is what I would do. I would have kept her in personally to allow her to exercise indoors till the run is fixed, I know it's possibly difficult if you live with your parents. I would have thought 3 days would give it a good chance to heal, I am more concerned that she may have an infection thats all, not a lot of point in speculating how it's got infected, you just need to get it sorted. I am concerned if she displaying signs of bloat aswell that it is all linked. x

continue the blankets in her out door hutch if there are 2 levels put her on the bottom and take away the ramp, put a box in there with towels so she can go in if she wants, it's important to take care of her wound, you have to be 'cruel to be kind' otherwise it will be a mess and she'll have to go back to vets and have more treatment ...more upset for the both of you

ive just cleaned out her hutch and instead of sawdust put down blankets, ive had to put in straw though as shes in the garage it gets quite cold. It looks really cosy :) Also checked her poo and it is normal. Her stomach doesnt feel as hard anymore, its slowly softening. There was no possible way of me getting to a vet today but i will get her to the vet tommorow about her wound. What is the symptoms for worms in rabbits?? I know that in humans and cats or dogs they get a potbelly and become really thin. Ive no idea how she has gotten so thin, i thought i was over feeding her!

sorry I have no experience with worms but somebody may come along soon to advise...what is her current diet?

Because shes underweight shes getting a small handful of pellets, a big siv full of hay that i top up during the day and occasionally wheetabix and some other fatty treats plus her usual green leafy veg. This isnt her usual diet, she normally gets about a egg cup and a half of pellets with her usual veg and un-limited hay.
I phoned every vet near me and none was open today :shock:

Vets being closed all weekend is not an excuse for you not to take her. They all operate emergency services should you need them.

It sounds like bloat but she needs to see a vet asap.

Also don't feet weetabix or bread. If your bunny has been losing weight she should have seen a vet who would advise you on the best way to help put some weight on her.

Oh Neenee I was hoping you were posting after seeing the vet, hopefully the fact she is eating and pooing and drinking? might help her get through but, she has got to be checked in the morning first thing, you need to explain all about the hardness in her tummy and get the wound fully checked. I would keep a close eye on her tonight and make sure she just has some hay, greens and cooled but warm boiled water in a saucer to drink. It would help if she could move around outside the hutch (not running or jumping because of her spay wound but, gentle movement. Heat pads can help under her hay under her tummy and gently rubbing her sides, not underneath as she may be sore might help her move any wind. Here is a link regarding the bread and weetabix have a read, the bit of real interest is at the bottom of the link on there, update and let us know tomorrow that she is alright x
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=213563

i took her to vets about 4 days ago and the vet said she was fine but of course i will take her tommorow about her wound. Its called emergency vets because its for emergencys and i dont really think it is one. Shes eating, pooing, weeing,drinking and binkying fine so i dont think it is bloat :? Ive just spent about £50 getting her wormer stuff, flea preventitive etc i do have an account for emergency vet but thats only if she has stopped eating and pooing because then i will know its a real emergency. Im checking on her every 30 minutes, she seems content and is doing flops . In the last few months ive spent soo much money on the vets when there is nothing wrong :lol: Better safe than sorry but the vet must be sick of the sight of me :lol:

As well as gas, swelling could be caused by excess fluid, possibly as a complication from the spay.
Otherwise too much of the wrong type of food eg weetabix, bread, could cause painful and dangerous swelling.
I agree she needs to see a vet. Her 'contented flopping' could actually be due to pain, i'm afraid xx

Neela was at the vets today. He said there wasnt anything to worry about (stomach) and hes given her an anti-biotic injection for her wound , i need to go back in 2 days to check on it. Shes in no pain with her wound as he was feeling under it and squeezing it and she was fine. As for her stomach its soft now, i think she maybe has gorged herself a bit too much which is why it was swollen. Thanks for all your advice :)

Neela was at the vets today. He said there wasnt anything to worry about (stomach) and hes given her an anti-biotic injection for her wound , i need to go back in 2 days to check on it. Shes in no pain with her wound as he was feeling under it and squeezing it and she was fine. As for her stomach its soft now, i think she maybe has gorged herself a bit too much which is why it was swollen. Thanks for all your advice :)

Thats good to hear NeeNee, I am really happy that she is alright, maybe think about getting her run fixed ASAP so you don't need to worry about the harness anymore then. Well done getting her checked out though, better to be safe than sorry I would say especially as you have already invested a lot of time and money in her up to now and you obviously love her. Maybe hand feed her the greens, herbs etc so she can't scoff it too quickly, I had to do that with Gizmo for a while as he started bolting his greens a bit. x

Back