• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Russell Bedding & Sneezing

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
Hi, just wondered if anyone else uses Russell Straw Bedding & if their buns or pigs react to it?

I tried it once in Phillip's bed & he kicked it all out & was sneezing a bit so I took it out - I tried it again today a couple of weeks later in a 'digging' box & he had a good dig about but was sneezing for quite a while after.

I removed the box & he's stopped sneezing now but I was wondering if it's the straw he's reacting to?
The bedding is short soft peices & it doesn't say dust extracted but it doesn't seem dusty to me.

also, would it be ok to use hay in a forage box instead as he seems to have the same reaction to wood shavings too, my concern was that he might associate it with a littertray if it's filled with hay.

& I just bought a bag of megazorb... is he likely to react to that too? not opened it yet :)

Sounds as though he is reacting to the straw.
No idea if the same will apply with Megazorb, everyBun is an individual re allergens, just like us.

I would stick to the hay. If he wees on it then its not the end of the world, you can just clean the box out :)

hehe true, it's only a cardboard box so I can bin it & replace with another.
He gets so much enjoyment from digging that I don't want to spoil it for him just because he reacts to certain types of bedding.

I'll try the megazorb, I can always give it to my local rescue if he reacts to that too.

Thanks for replying & for the advice Jane, I appreciate it :D

i used to use that but my rabbit reacted the same and he gets itchy eyes with woodshavings, yet my other rabbit was fine think it depends on the rabbit. i just use normal hay (dust extracted from the pet store) for bedding and some nice hay for them to eat that seems to work =]

Megazorb can be quite dusty at times. If he does react to it aswell you might want to try auboise as I haven't found that as bad.

Thanks for your advice everyone, I hadn't realised megazorb was dusty.. currently I've been using carefresh in his littertray but saw megazorb was much cheaper in comparison 14l vs 85l
He might be ok cos I pile it high with hay on top anyway so hopefully that will stop the dust.

I'll also just use hay in his digging box :p

Back