• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Death

JC1982

New Kit
Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at these posts for some months but never really had to post. Sorry about the morbid first post but would like someone to share their knowledge.

We bought two rabbits from a pet store about 7 months ago, a ginger lop (harry) and a white and brown lionhead (wills). They lived in a cage in the living room whilst we were at work and then let out for roughly 7 hours a day to roam the flat.

unfortuanatly they fell out over night about 3 months ago and fought very fearcely. Our vet reccomended that we split the cage with chicken wire and give them a month (after nueturing) so they could still smell each other and try to rebond

alas it was not to be as they would attack each other upon site, but they did cuddle up to each other by the wire at night, but as soon as they could get to each other (we tried to bond in our room as nutrual territory) they would fight.

Anyway it was clear that they were not going to get along and there was no way we could continue to keep them in half a cage each as it was waaay to small for them, so we saved up and got Wills a new cage last week. he loved it and so did Harry.

Today I came in at 3pm and Wills was in his cage, he came out of the little hutch bit and was fine, albeit a little subdued. I went to sleep and then my other half came in at 8pm she found that he was dead in the middle of the cage.

we will be taking him to the vets tomorrow but why has this happened? he had been VHD and Mixxy Vacced. was it beacause we seperated them? Could it be the new cage or stress from moving cages (he looked very happy with his new house tho) - just wanted to find out why this sort of thing happens as i would hate it to happen to Harry as well, i loved that little rabbit and its all so sad. :cry:

Rabbits don't die from being seperated, don't blame yourself it had nothing to do with that!

I would say it could be a few things, under-lying health issues maybe. With him being a young rabbit and getting him from a pet shop. You have no way of knowing if he has any type of genetic condition.

It could be that hes eating somthing he shouldn't or come into contact with something? When he has free roam, is there any chance he has eaten somthing he shouldn't?

If your having a post-mortum than it will answer your questions. Sorry for your loss :cry:

Maybe once you've gotten over the death, get your remaining rabbit a girlfriend. It's somthing to think about.

For now, i would try not to get too worked up and see what the vet says

Hi - I'm so sorry that this happened, it must have been an awful shock for you. I live in fear of this happening to my buns and not knowing what caused it.

I am not good with medical queries but there will be a few people along tonight and especially tomorrow who will be able to make a few suggestions. In the meantime, you could do a search for other similar threads (there have been quite a few) and looks at some of the suggestions that people have come up with for sudden death in a fully vaccinated rabbit.

Would you consider having a post mortem done on the rabbit who died (was it Wills?) That way you kind find out what happened and make sure that it doesn't happen to the other rabbit...

I can't tell you why your bunny died but I'm sorry for your loss.
Bunnies hide signs of illness so by the time we notice any slight signs they may actually be very sick. A postmortem might give you an answer although they don't always xx

Yeah were going to get a pm done. All I can think is that it must have been heart or brain problems, i mean he looked fine at 3, and the way he was laid in the cage suggested he toppled not curled up in pain etc. Just so fast its extroidanary.

I can't offer any advice but I feel for you ((huggs))

I believe you're doing the right thing in getting a pm done for the sake of your other bunny too.

I am really sorry for your loss, it must have been very upsetting and your clearly probably a bit in shock. I personally can't suggest what could of caused your bun to die so suddenly like this, did it not make any noise at all?

A post-mortem may reveal some details for you to provide you with some closure but, I really don't think the separation would have caused death like this, it may have caused him to stop eating and drinking but, I am assuming that didn't happen so it could have been an underlying health condition from birth. There seems to be mixed feelings on post-mortems, I know some vets with small furries believe it can only really be accurate and conclusive if carried out with an hour of death. I don't know if that is the case, I would imagine it depends on the condition that has caused death.

Once again I am very sorry, hope your other one will be alright, I assume it saw the body and realises what has happened?

Its hard to say without a post-mortum, but please don't blame yourself,
Bunnies are very good at concealing illnesses.

Was your bunny eating ok? Pooping etc? Quite a few bunnys can suffer from stasis or ilues which I had never heard of before I came on this forum. It can kill quite quickly. If you interested a good article is...

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

i would like to beg to differ on the buns dyeing from loss or seperation yes they can,

in this case i dont think this is what happened, its not uncommon for young buns or at any age really to suddenly die, they are indeed very good at hiding pain, lets hope the PM can give you some answers, so sorry for your loss:(

I am really sorry for your loss, it must have been very upsetting and your clearly probably a bit in shock. I personally can't suggest what could of caused your bun to die so suddenly like this, did it not make any noise at all?

A post-mortem may reveal some details for you to provide you with some closure but, I really don't think the separation would have caused death like this, it may have caused him to stop eating and drinking but, I am assuming that didn't happen so it could have been an underlying health condition from birth. There seems to be mixed feelings on post-mortems, I know some vets with small furries believe it can only really be accurate and conclusive if carried out with an hour of death. I don't know if that is the case, I would imagine it depends on the condition that has caused death.

Once again I am very sorry, hope your other one will be alright, I assume it saw the body and realises what has happened?
Well we covered wills up but yeah i think he knows. Anyway the vet said that Harry is fine and in top condition so thats a relief. Will get the results of pm at lunch.

I'm so sorry about your bunny.

I lost a bunny suddenly - literally no warning at all - just last Sunday. It was VHD and he was vaccinated. He was a healthy, young 4 yr old bun but it got him anyway.

My baby bun is also vaccinated (all my buns are) but she caught it too. Luckily we were able to save her with the help of a wonderful rabbit rescue lady and vibes from RU and FB people and bunnies.

Why it took Rogy and not Lily I'll never know.

Why my 2 other buns didn't catch it, I'll never know.

Bunnies don't die from being separated when they're otherwise healthy - especially if they're fighting before they're separated, I really wouldn't worry about that.

I hope the PM gives you the answers you need.

Hugs xx

Thank you so much for all your kind replies. Well the vet completed the PM and it turned out to be a heart attack. looks like the little man was just poorly from the start - bless him.

Anyway it has made me and my other half have much more peace of mind. i know there is alot of divided opinion about PM's but in this situtuation it was 100% right, especially as we have Harry and 5 hamsters we just couldnt take the risk with desease's.

anyway thank you so much again for all your kind words. At least he will be binkying free where ever he is.

Cheers

JC

I'm glad you've gotten some comfort from the PM results. Now you can grieve for your bun and move forward with the other knowing you did nothing wrong.

Even though you know logically you didn't do anything wrong it's always nice to have that reassurance.

Best to you and the little one :)

Thank you so much for all your kind replies. Well the vet completed the PM and it turned out to be a heart attack. looks like the little man was just poorly from the start - bless him.

Anyway it has made me and my other half have much more peace of mind. i know there is alot of divided opinion about PM's but in this situtuation it was 100% right, especially as we have Harry and 5 hamsters we just couldnt take the risk with desease's.

anyway thank you so much again for all your kind words. At least he will be binkying free where ever he is.

Cheers

JC

Awww I am sorry, at least you have closure and it was probably very quick as in humans. I am sorry and hope your other little one will be alright. x

Back