• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for Infacol to work?

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hiya,
Bit of a drama here - Maddie isn't eating. Have given her some gripe water and metacam but she is lying down flat and not eating. How long do i give the meds to work, before repeating the gripe water please?

She has had tummy rubs too but is definitely pressing her stomach to the floor. It came on suddenly as she started scoffing her tea but stopped half way.

I'd fed her some bits off our veg as i was preparing it - but after WE tried eating it, we realised its manky, tasted awful cooked so i don't know what its done to her.

She needs to see a vet ASAP. I wouldnt give her any meds untill she has been checked over for blockages.

When Snowdrop is bloated if we catch it early the infacol can work within an hour. Othertimes it can take several days of treatment for her to feel better.

She really does need to see a vet to decide on the best course of treatment for her.

Am writing this update a little bleary eyed through sleep deprivation!

We went to the emergency vets and he threw everything at her, I was really impressed. Metaclop, sub cut fluids, pain relief, liquid paraffin and abx.

I was up every 1.5hours through the night to syringe feed her and tempt her to eat and at 5.30am she ate 3 sprigs of coriander of her own accord (after me waving it in her face for 5 mins - but it worked). She whinged and stomped her feet as usual for her pellets for breakfast and ate a small portion there fine, but her tummy is still gassy.

Just been to my regular vet and we've repeated the metaclop (and have one for this evening to give) also more baytril and have more liquid paraffin to give today.... and of course the food temping.

So she is improved, but we're not out of it yet. Vet says she still has a pretty quiet tummy (apart from the loud gurgling if that makes sense), so we're still on a wait and see.

Please send some eating and pooping vibes for my brave girl who has already had a pretty traumatic 12 months!

Poor girl :cry:

Not sure about the LP though :? I know my Vet does not like to use it unless the Rabbit has had intensive fluid therapy for at least 24 hrs :?

Anyways, sending get well vibes xx

My vet advised me also that liquid paraffin is usless and if anything can cause more of a problem if there is a blockage can just coat it and not help rehydrate it so it can be passed.....or something along those lines don't quote me on that ;)
Hope she continues on the road to recovery for you
best of luck x

Hmm, yeh i see the points about the paraffin..... Anyway she passed a HUGE poo earlier that was just solid fur, so I know what the problem was at least. She is now eating almost as normal, but tummy is pretty gurgly even when she is just sitting. I'll keep up the tummy rubs and see how we go on with the eating and passing of poos.

Thanks for your wishes guys! Working so far!!

Back