• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bob fully blown Stasis! updated been Vets pasterella abscess!

andrea82

Young Bun
Hello,
Bob is not eating much no pellets or Oxbow hay he loves this normally it wasn't long ago when Betty his wife-bun died... could this effect the stasis so far hes been eating small chopped up pieces of apple but very few so I got the porridge out with a little water this helped.
He has also a change in temp as I brought him in.
Hes up and about now. Hopefully will get his gut moving. Hes still drinking.

UPDATE:- 17/01/10

Hes not eating what so ever so vets again today 17/01/10.
I now can feel a hard round lump on the side of his face/jaw.:cry:
I thought his face looked much bigger yesterday and told the vet. One side of his face was bigger but could not feel anything now I can.
His breathing is raspy too.

Vet confirmed abscess and spurs are slightly sharp. On Bio Lapis, recovery food, oral re-hydration and Septrin. Cannot operate until hes eating his abscess needs to go down.
Recommended Cheadle A & E. or overnight stay for treatment.

Last edited:
Awwh :( I hope he starts eating properly soon :( Maybeh es lonely after loosing his wife? Sending lots of vibes xxx

Aww bless him, poor little lad.
How does his tummy feel?
Do you have any Fibreplex you could give him?
As long as he is eating an producing poops, then it is unlikely to be a blockage so keep feeding him anything he will eat to keep his gut moving and make sure he stays hydrated.

Update

Been vets. Not his front teeth they are fine. He has a flair up of Pasterella. Lungs are bad. :cry:

Hes had injections for vitamin B12, Metacam and septrin and i think something for his gut to keep working the Septrin was helping last time over Baytril which didn't do much.
More Septrin to be administered if still bad then we go back tomos for hospitalisation such as x-rays.

What does the vet do if things do not improve?

What happens if things do not improve?
Is there anything else I could do?

Bob went in animal hospital Tuesday, today was the end. He was put to sleep.
Rest in piece Bob only 2.5yrs old.
He wasn't eating much being syringe fed not poo'in.
Huge abscess so had to be put to sleep.

I thought I was doing well with them.

Why did I manage to get hold of poorly buns? Was this down to diet. Bob ate hay and veg and Alan and Page.

Betty didn't like hay much this is why I opted for A&P and kale, broc, bannanas, rocket, peppers, apples n carrots. Plus I always bought willow balls and sticks for them to gnaw.

Maybe Im not cut out for bunnies.

Hi Andrea, I'm realy sorry you have lost both your bunnies in such a short time :(

You seem to be a very caring bunny mommy who tried your very best for your bunnies & you were there for them and gave them all the love and care they ever needed.
You couldn't predict that both bunnies would fall ill, it could happen to any one of us, & you need to try not to blame yourself for your bunnies illnesses.

I know it will be hard, but give yourself time to grieve sweetheart because you need & deserve to & you're doubting yourself because you're hurting so much.

sending big (((hugggggsssss)))

Please dont blame yourself,you are obviously a very caring bunny mum and what has happened is just bad luck.Sleep tight beautiful Bob xxxxxx

Andrea please don't beat up on yourself. I have had 18 years with buns and yet lost both of my nine year olds just before Christmas. Since new year we have been fighting a 13 day stasis in our sole surviving girl and she has now got a severe tracking infection. It can happen to all of us. From what you said you have been an excellent and caring bunny mum. Take a bit of time out to gather yourself and then maybe look for a couple of rescues. Don't miss out on the joy of having buns in your life.:love:

Back