• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

small clumps of fur coming out

vickyplum

Warren Scout
In the last week, Ruby has had marks on her back fur were she sits and we just thought it was from the bars of the cage because she rests her bum against it. I have just noticed now though she has clumps of fur which look loose, its not a lot but im still concerned, could she be pulling at her fur possibly?

Any ideas would be appreicated,

cheers,

Vicky and ruby

She could be pulling at it OR which is probably more likely is that she is shedding. Have a look at the skin under the fur to make sure she does not look sore.

I agree. It could be that she's moulting but it could also be mites. If it is mites she will be scratching and if you look in her fur it will look like she has a little dandruff.

Theres no white dandruff and the skin isnt sore so she must be shedding her fur, i had no idea they did this. She is a lionhead lop so when her fur sheds it seems like a lot but its just cos shes a furry bunny.

Thanks for your responses, i can relax now :):wave:

Theres no white dandruff and the skin isnt sore so she must be shedding her fur, i had no idea they did this. She is a lionhead lop so when her fur sheds it seems like a lot but its just cos shes a furry bunny.

Thanks for your responses, i can relax now :):wave:

Glad to hear it's just a bit of moulting. It would be good for her if you could give her a hand and buy a brush to groom her with or run a damp hand through her fur. As she's a very furry bunny she may end up with a blockage when she tries to groom it herself.

Yeah, you should try to brush her if she is moulting, my Herbie was moulting recently and the amount of fur that i brushed out of him was unreal.....like handfuls and handfuls of the stuff!

Bella is doing this too...is that normal at this time of year...surely they wouldn't moult until after the winter :?

Back