• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should we neuter Noel?

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Noel is being neutered a week Friday. Wondered if you could tell me how it will change him. The last couple of days he's been weeing on us. Will it change that? He's also biting everything.

How safe is the procedure?

Thank you,

L x

PS Should we get him done? He does the humming and circling around the legs but is not aggressive. He has been weeing on us when sat our laps but hasn't been spraying. He mostly uses his litter tray.

Should he be done? I'm getting worried about the risks and general anesthetic.

Thank you.

It has to be your decision and I think most bunny owners find any operation a worry. I worried about Cassie's op even though I had only met her once and reserved her before I adopted her!

I am not an expert on neutering but if it was my bunny I would get him done. I dont know what age Noel is but it should help make him happier and also may calm some of the behaviour you described. You could also consider getting a friend for him after his hormones have settled after the op.

If you want further information, this is a good leaflet on neutering:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

There are also lots of threads about neutring on this forum

Best of luck, hope it goes well :wave:

I am not an expert on neutering but if it was my bunny I would get him done. I dont know what age Noel is but it should help make him happier and also may calm some of the behaviour you described. You could also consider getting a friend for him after his hormones have settled after the op.

I agree with rexbun. All operations carry some risk but if you're confident in your vet, then go ahead. And if you're not - find another vet and THEN carry on :lol:

Muppet came through his op fine and recovered very quickly. He was sleepy for a few hours after he came home (as you would be, recovering from a general anaesthetic) and was normal within a day.

Thanks for all your advice. He bites a lot (not with aggression) so hoping the neutering will stop him doing that. He is always grunting and circling now so think he needs to be done. We also want to get him a friend so I guess we need to get him done. Still worrying about it though. He's such a lovely boy. x

Back