• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

quick question.. metacam

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone, Going to update my orginal post later, but I have a really quick question for anyone who already knows sort of thing.

the vet said I could give snuggles 3kg dog dose of dog metacam and to use the syringe that comes with the metacam.. but my maths sucks, anything to do with numbers in fact.

Where would that be upto on the metacam syringe?.. I've always done it by drops, and don't even get me started on mg, cc.. etc.. no idea

does anyone know:?

Thank You..

M

If I remember rightly the marks on the syringe are the animals weights not the quantity of metacam so if you draw it up to 3 on the syringe that will be right. But I don't have a syringe in front of me so you had better double check first :wave:

Thanks!..

yeah, the syringe says.. 10, 20, 30 etc.. so would 3kg dog dose be the 2nd sort of mark on the syringe (before the 10?) it doesn't seem to start at zero sort of thing...

or If I drew it all the way up to 30, that would be for a 30kg dog?:roll::oops:

soo confusing..

Ah, that's the large syringe you've got there. With my Metacam, I have a small syringe and a large one - the large one says 10, 20, etc, but the small one says 1, 2, etc.

Yeah, it's a large wide one..

I do have a 2ml syringe, but not sure how many ml a 3kg dog dose equates too:S..

I'll have a quick look at my syringes, as I have both.... be right back.

OK, I have compared amounts picked up in both the large syringe and the small. The large one is just a complete nightmare to get an accurate result for 3 kg, as you say, as there is a 10 kg mark, then half way down, that's 5 kg, and half way down again it's 2.5 kg, so very hard to measure 3 kg - you need slightly more than 2.5 kg. I compared it to the results of the small syringe and you can just about get it right though.

Last edited:
Is there not also a smaller syringe in the box - have a rummage and check. Mine comes with two syringes - one for large dogs and one for small dogs and I use the smaller one to get the accurate dosing for Santa :) Otherwise, do you have a normal 1ml syringe? You could then ring your vet and ask them to confirm what the dosage works out at in ml. I'm sure we could do the conversion here between us but I would prefer your vet to work it out :lol:

Thanks everyone..

I only have the large metacam syringe, and a normal 2ml syringe.., if I could just found out how much in ML a 3 kg dog dose of the large syringe works out at..man why does it have to be soo confusing..

I think though, with the large syringe, the amount I have to give him is definately before the 10 mark?, it's weird the large syringe is already at 2kg though before you even draw it back.. so it seems like there would hardly be any metacam in it at 3kg:?

Yeah I had a look at my ones when I got home, there is virtually no room for the 2ml is there. I guess most of the 2ml is in the nozzle so when you're drawing back a lot more, the air gets to the end and squishes it all out?

OK let's try and work it out (but please check with your vet tomorrow!) It's the dog metacam yes? Does it say on the label that it's a concentration of 1.5mg/ml?

yea, that's exactly what happened, there is no room, then all the metacam comes bubbling out of the top:shock:

I'm still searching and googling.. but man It makes me wish I had studied more in school:oops:

I will phone the vet tommorrow and double check too.. he's a 2kg bun and it is the dog metacam..1.5mg/ml yea. The vet gave me a large bottle, (next size up from the little one)..

i got a headache lol..

Thanks Santa, and everyone.. I shall contriube my bit to the forum soon as my next installment goes in.. going to update my original post now.

I've just given it a go with the large syringe and it only seems to be around 0.15ml to 0.2ml, still seems a tiny amount :?

Looking at the datasheet, the dog maintenance dose is 0.1mg/kg so the 3kg dog dose contains 0.3mg of active ingredient.

If there is 1.5mg in a ml, then on your normal syringe, then 0.3 mg is a fifth of 1.5, so you should need a fifth of a ml, i.e. 0.2ml.

But please check with your vet tomorrow, that's only my workings and they could well be very wrong! Is it for once or twice a day?

Looking at the datasheet, the dog maintenance dose is 0.1mg/kg so the 3kg dog dose contains 0.3mg of active ingredient.

If there is 1.5mg in a ml, then on your normal syringe, then 0.3 mg is a fifth of 1.5, so you should need a fifth of a ml, i.e. 0.2ml.

But please check with your vet tomorrow, that's only my workings and they could well be very wrong! Is it for once or twice a day?

You did it the mathamatical way, I sucked it up with a large syringe, put it in a glass and then sucked it up with a 1ml syringe to see how much it was. Is that cheating? :lol:

Well we both got the same answer didn't we :lol: I'd say it's a demonstration that the theory and practice can, in some instances, happily combine.

your soo clever.. I think I was lost after.."0.15ml" lol.. :oops: I know what you mean though.

thank You for this, and for doing that.. I really appreciate it, and that does still seem a tiny dose.. hmm..

the vet did say that sometimes they do give them massive doses, I will phone him tommorrow and ask him, I would phone the reception etc, but usually end up going round in circles.

I will tell them I am using the 2ml syring and ask them do do the math, but from your calculations it does seem like that's still a small dose..so I will mention that too. Thank You..

From this I doubt I would of made a very good doctor on the technical side of things..:shock:

Back