• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits who have pain - U/D back from vets.Post 11

I hope you can help me.
Is it always the case that a rabbit would stop eating if in pain?
I can't tell for sure, but last night and this morning, Honey seems to be sitting a little lop-sided. I can't tell if she is limping as I haven't been able to let her outside for a run since yesterday morning.
She took herself back into the shed first yesterday before Eric and Ernie had finished exploring, but I thought maybe she was too cold and didn't think any more about it.
But last night she sat out in her run and I had to rattle the food tin to try and get her in. She didn't come back in straight away (normally like a whirlwind). When she did come back in, she ate as normal.

Again this morning she has eaten all her veg, pellets and hay and has been to the litter tray. It's just that she doesn't seem quite right. she did lay down for me (on demand:D:D) and I could move her legs and she didn't wince or pull away with a struggle.
I will try and have a closer look after work, but would she stop eating if in pain?

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Some Rabbits will continue to eat despite some pain. Others wont.

I would check her poos for size and quantity. Pain can reduce GI motility (smaller/fewer poos etc) even if the Bun continues to eat.

If she appeared to be 'lop sided' then an ear problem is a possibility as is some sort of CNS problem (EC).

The fact that you have noticed a change in her behaviour suggests that a Vet check might be a good idea even if she is eating OK

xx

Rabbits don't necessarily stop eating when in pain.
They often eat, less but this is difficult to see when they eat less hay.
It is also difficult to see a small reduction in waste poops in the usual litter tray.
I think your rabbit needs to see a vet to determine the diagnosis.
I would advise against pain relief for the 24 hours before seeing the vet, because this can hide all important clinical signs when the vet examines your rabbit.

We have had plenty of bunnies here that must have been in awful pain and have continued to eat well. :? I would say that sitting slightly lopsided can also be an indication of pain, and doesn't necessarily have to be ear related, it could also be in the spine or abdomen.

We have also had at least 3 bunnies that have shown pain by not using there back legs properly even though there was nothing wrong with their actual legs.

Is she a dental bunny at all?With some of my outside dental buns, although they haven't stopped eating, they have given indications of pain in this cold weather so a slight increase in their pain relief has been necessary.

I agree that if you are worried a vet check is in order :)

Thank you all.
It has been really difficult to tell as it is quite dark in the shed and she is a bit of a "flopper" so I'm not sure if I am imagining things. Just something tells me she's not right.

Liz: she has elongated tooth roots, so she has had her eye flushed before. I adminster Fulcthamic (SP) as and when she has a flare up. The boys keep it nice and clean and it is so much better now she is with them. She isn't teeth chattering or anything and is eating her Beaphar pellets easily (and they are very hard and crunchy)

I will try and get a better look when I get home tonight and check her mobility and how she is sitting. IF it wasn't so dark when I get home, I could let her have some free range and get a better idea. I am not at work in the morning, so will let her out then and if I am still concerned that somethings not right, a visit to the vets will be in order.
Of course if she is obviously not right when I get home I will take her straight to the vets.

Thanks again.

I hope it is nothing to worry about :)

It is our bunnies that have tooth root problems that have been suffering the most in this weather. Can you imagine how painful it can be to have tooth ache in these temperatures :(

Well I have managd to get a good look at Honey this morning and I'm pretty sure she is not sitting right.
So I am going to try and get her to the vets today.
We have had lots more snow overnight and I will have to see if a taxi can get here or walk to the vets,which will take about 45 mins. Would she be o.k in a carrier for that long, if I have to walk?

Would I be o.k to take just Honey and leave Eric and Ernie in their Shed? I know she will smell of the vets when she comes home,but if I wipe some hay from the litter tray over her, will that be o.k

There are lots more "What ifs", but I think the first thing to do is get her to the vets and see what they say.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You

Good luck with the vets :wave:

As she is the female I think she will be Ok to be seperated from them for a little while :)

Good luck with the vets :wave:

As she is the female I think she will be Ok to be seperated from them for a little while :)

Thanks Liz
I can't get a taxi now, so will have to walk:evil::evil: Will put a towel in the carrier and hope she won't feel too much discomfort. Blessed SNow:evil::evil:

Its snowing here too :( Just when I thought it was starting to thaw so I could actually get some bunnies out of hutches

Just got back from the vets and Honey is fine. Vet was very good. He really stretched her out and examined pelvis and movement in hips and legs. Hips are aligned perfectly and legs just a little bit stiff.
He said that it's a bit like us clearing up all the snow after having not done any exercise for a while. All a bit stiff and achey.
Well the 3 buns have been less active in the cold weather and huddle up most of the day and they did have about 30 mins run around on SUnday. SO that would make sense. He said to try and keep them exercised a little bit each day of possible.
SO he has given her pain releif by injection today and some metacam to start tomorrow. SO all is well thank goodness.

She is now sat in the run sulking! I'll go and check in 5 mins to make sure she's back inside with the boys!

Incidently, I shouldn't have worried about her being seperated from the boys. They were fine when she came back!:p:p

Thank you everyone for support over this.

LIZ: I really don't know how you rescues cope. I think you are all wonderful.xx:D:D

I am glad that the Vet found nothing too much to worry about
Hopefully the Metacam will help her over the next few days :)

She's really not happy with me.:cry::cry: She was sat in the run for about 10 mins and now she is on the top shelf of the nic cubes in the shed with her back to me. She turned round long enough to have a raisin but then turned her back again.
Just going to go and sit out there again now. But have to go to work at 1.30pm
I hope she forgive me soon!

Glad it was nothing too serious. I think lot of bunnies are going to have the same problems. Some of mine have been stuck in hutches for over 10 days with no exercise :( As they are elderly I don't want them getting wet and cold in the snow, but they are also the ones that are going to have the most joint problems from lack of exercise. So hard to know what to do for the best :?

She's really not happy with me.:cry::cry: She was sat in the run for about 10 mins and now she is on the top shelf of the nic cubes in the shed with her back to me. She turned round long enough to have a raisin but then turned her back again.
Just going to go and sit out there again now. But have to go to work at 1.30pm
I hope she forgive me soon!

I am sure she will forgive you !!

I am also delighted that there is nothing serious amiss, and very hopeful that she'll feel better soon with the metacam.
I'm sorry you're in the dog house - she'll forgive you. They just like to make a point! :)

When I left for work, she was completely flopped out next to Eric and Ernie. She may not have forgiven me yet, but at least she is warm and snug at last.:):)

I am sure she will forgive you !!

I can't blame her Jane. First there was the stress of getting her into her carrier (which she recognises now) then a 30 mins walk in the snow to the vet.
Then mummy holds your front half down, while the strange man pulls your legs and hips in all directions.
To top it all off, 2 injections (she had her VHD as well).

Then another 30 min walk home.

I think I would be pretty cheesed off too! Poor girl.:cry::cry:

Back