• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Calming Drops - Opinions / experiences???

LilOBun

Young Bun
I have had my bunnies for 12 months and they are due for their 3rd check up and jab visit to the vets with me. Reggie is 5 years old and doesn't like being handled. He gets absolutely terrified going for his check ups, even to the point that the vet was not keen to pick him out of his carrier to give him his jabs. He pants and shivers and is a very unhappy boy. I feel horrible putting him through it. I found some drops (M&C Serene Drops) that you can put in bunny food which calms them down for such occasions. Just wondering what peoples opinions or experiences are on this??

Never heard of these myself, where did you find them? Must be worth a try though, you could give them a trial run on a day when they're not going to the vets?

I too have not heard of these particular drops but I can recommend the Bach Flower Essence range for using with animals. I have used the Bach Rescue Remedy successfully several times with my buns in the past when they have been to the vets (the drops can be given on veges ie carrot or treats or put in water but I'd suggest the vege/treat option so you know that the essence has been taken). You should be able to find the above in chemists, Boots & health stores. I also agree that you could use them on a day when you aren't going to the vets so that you are more prepared on the day (you cannot overdose on essences so don't worry!). Hope that helps.

I too have not heard of these particular drops but I can recommend the Bach Flower Essence range for using with animals. I have used the Bach Rescue Remedy successfully several times with my buns in the past when they have been to the vets (the drops can be given on veges ie carrot or treats or put in water but I'd suggest the vege/treat option so you know that the essence has been taken). You should be able to find the above in chemists, Boots & health stores. I also agree that you could use them on a day when you aren't going to the vets so that you are more prepared on the day (you cannot overdose on essences so don't worry!). Hope that helps.

I've used this for different animals in different situations too and found it effective. It helps me too, lol. ;)

I've often used it for ratties etc. during intro's.

Back