• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to use probiotics daily?

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Everytime i stop putting probiotics in Scamps water he has a really bad tummy. Is it ok to use it daily? I currently have 'ProC Probiotic by Vetark' at home which ive been using but im just placing an order with vet uk and was going to order the Avipro plus? Would this be ok? Are they the same thing?

xXx

Most probiotics contain minerals, as they are designed to be used in times of illness. Not sure if the ones you have do, but they (ie minerals) shouldn't be given daily, I don't think.

Most probiotics contain minerals, as they are designed to be used in times of illness. Not sure if the ones you have do, but they (ie minerals) shouldn't be given daily, I don't think.

The ones that I use (mentioned above) don't contain any minerals.:)

Thanks, i did think this may be the case... i cant understand why he has the runs when he doesnt have the probiotics in his water though :? Reason ive asked today is i didnt put the probiotics in yesterday, and hes poorly today :(

Thank you! I could order that instead :D Is that to put on the food, rather than to add to the water? xXx

It's in the form of pellets, so I just give it to them and they demolish it.:)
It was recommended to me by a vet, when one of my buns was having too many caecotrophs. I was told to give him a scoop (provided in the box) per day. Of course, it is impossible to give something to one of them without giving to the others.:roll:

It's in the form of pellets, so I just give it to them and they demolish it.:)
It was recommended to me by a vet, when one of my buns was having too many caecotrophs. I was told to give him a scoop (provided in the box) per day. Of course, it is impossible to give something to one of them without giving to the others.:roll:

:lol: Ok thank you. Will order some, hopefully it will help him xXx

Pro-Fibre for Rabbits
List of ingredients:
Wheatfeed, soya hulls, oatfeed, wheatbran, grass meal, sugar beet pulp, yeast, linseed, cellulose, Preplex prebiotic (FOS & Arabinogalactan), dandelion flavouring.

Analytical declaration:
Protein: 13%
Crude Fibre: 19%
Ash 6.5%
Oil: 4.5%
Dietary Fibre: 46%

bisc and matt have avipro plus everyday, but i know the vet doesn't think probiotics make much difference, if any, and he said most have something in them that isn't naturally found in rabbits... :?

he said it wouldn't do any harm me carrying on with the avipro plus, and i have because while they are both ill and recovering and with them being so sensitive, i don't want to make any changes to anything yet incase they can't handle it.

he also said most probiotics are marketed for all animals, when they are usually made for one... so if you get one, get one specially for rabbits...

i want to take my two off avipro really, just scared to make any changes whilst they are like they are.

Thanks, i did think this may be the case... i cant understand why he has the runs when he doesnt have the probiotics in his water though :? Reason ive asked today is i didnt put the probiotics in yesterday, and hes poorly today :(

Probably because he had such a rough start, he still hasnt established a good colony of commensal bacteria. As well as the digestive assistance they give, they also coat the surface of the gut, which stops other, harmful bacteria from colonising. Hopefully he will in time, and the rate of cell turnover in his gut will settle too. I'd keep giving him a mineral-free probiotic until he reaches a more appropriate weight for his age at least.

I believe some probiotics cant be used long term but pro c isn't one of them.I use that when B is under the weather.

Probably because he had such a rough start, he still hasnt established a good colony of commensal bacteria. As well as the digestive assistance they give, they also coat the surface of the gut, which stops other, harmful bacteria from colonising. Hopefully he will in time, and the rate of cell turnover in his gut will settle too. I'd keep giving him a mineral-free probiotic until he reaches a more appropriate weight for his age at least.

Thanks Vikki, ive ordered the stuff from VetUK that was linked above :) Im hoping this will work for him xXx

Back